summit 12" front brake kit

mywhite89

Sumitt sells an upgraded front brake kit that I am probably going to order up. The company that makes the kit is called stainless steel brakes. Anybody heard of them before? The kit is like $800-900 bucks and it includes calipers, pad, and rotors. $100 cheaper than baer brakes from there.

A little expensive....

And I hope that you're ordering it for your '95, it won't fit an early car.

A little expensive....

And I hope that you're ordering it for your '95, it won't fit an early car.

If you upgrade to the 93-97 front spindles it will fit, which is what I am doing. Is there anything 13" that is comparable and cheaper? Mustang calipers are dual piston but not 13". I just want good parts. The car will do 170mph probably, it just wont stop from those speeds effectively. Not that I go that fast, but its crazy how bad the stock setup is on these cars even when slowing from a 110mph quarter mile run.

94-04 cobra brakes are 13" and will work with the '93+ spindles

DITTO. Did the '03 GT/V6 PBR's and stock disk on the wife's car. Hooked myself up with a set of '04 SVT/Bullitt/R's 13" for my BBF build.
Be careful about checking banjo bolt thread size, the GT's were M10x1.0 (fine) and the SVT's were M10x1.5 (coarse) the 'bird's are M10x1.5. I found the fine thread at NAPA. Less than $4 ea. Ford didn't have any in stock...and they wanted $25 ea for them!
Good luck, MikeH

DITTO. Did the '03 GT/V6 PBR's and stock disk on the wife's car. Hooked myself up with a set of '04 SVT/Bullitt/R's 13" for my BBF build.
Be careful about checking banjo bolt thread size, the GT's were M10x1.0 (fine) and the SVT's were M10x1.5 (coarse) the 'bird's are M10x1.5. I found the fine thread at NAPA. Less than $4 ea. Ford didn't have any in stock...and they wanted $25 ea for them!
Good luck, MikeH

I've heard there are variances in the banjo bolts through the years of the gt/v6 pbrs

Good luck, MikeH

Tell me a little more about the cobra 13" brakes. Did did you put drilled/slotted rotors on yours? I assume I need the caliper and mounting bracket for them to work. If they are the same thread can I use the stock bolts? Did you use the factory brake lines and modify them or different ones?

I called napa and told them I had a 04 cobra. They came up with only 10.86" inch rotors for that car. They did say the mach 1's had 13" rotors. I didn't work my discount yet, but I could get pads, rotors, and calipers for $700 after tax.

The lugnut pattern is different for the mustangs in that year, right? What do you do about getting 13" rotors to fit the thunderbird. I wont be changing to mustang hubs.

Last edited:
Tell me a little more about the cobra 13" brakes. Did did you put drilled/slotted rotors on yours? I assume I need the caliper and mounting bracket for them to work. If they are the same thread can I use the stock bolts? Did you use the factory brake lines and modify them or different ones?

I called napa and told them I had a 04 cobra. They came up with only 10.86" inch rotors for that car. They did say the mach 1's had 13" rotors. I didn't work my discount yet, but I could get pads, rotors, and calipers for $700 after tax.

The lugnut pattern is different for the mustangs in that year, right? What do you do about getting 13" rotors to fit the thunderbird. I wont be changing to mustang hubs.
I have had two sets of the Cobra 13" Brakes. One on my Cobra (Imagine that) and I installed another set on my 1995 SN95. Night and day difference in stock and 13" braking performance. Highly recommended...

wonder if I can just buy replacement rotors and pads 13" from summit and buy cobra calipers for cheaper

update: have to buy replacement 13" rotors straight from baer on the baer kit. $187.60 each.

Last edited:
Not to get you off the Cobra swap, but I did the regular PBR swap with stock size rotors and that alone was big difference. I have always wondered how the F to R bias is when upgrading to such large front brakes and not doing anything to the rear. Mine will bury the nose hard with just upgraded calipers and pads.

Not to get you off the Cobra swap, but I did the regular PBR swap with stock size rotors and that alone was big difference. I have always wondered how the F to R bias is when upgrading to such large front brakes and not doing anything to the rear. Mine will bury the nose hard with just upgraded calipers and pads.

Yeah an adjustable proportioning valve is a good idea...and easy to install...

If you upgrade to the 93-97 front spindles it will fit, which is what I am doing. Is there anything 13" that is comparable and cheaper? Mustang calipers are dual piston but not 13". I just want good parts. The car will do 170mph probably, it just wont stop from those speeds effectively. Not that I go that fast, but its crazy how bad the stock setup is on these cars even when slowing from a 110mph quarter mile run.

You can get Cobra calipers for less than $300, then get the style of 13" Cobra rotors that you like, and have them redrilled.

Notice on the Baer kit, "Master cylinder included" which, I would assume, should be proportioned for the stock rears. Although, proportioned does not mean balanced and undersized rear brakes (comparatively) are more prone to lock up.

Use search : PBR Cobra R brakes

There's a whole thread on the swap. For the 13" PBRs look for '04 SVT or Bullitt with brackets. Easy place to get PN's is Rock Auto (I just posted a new discount code). figure out which ones you want, then go to local dealer. (If you can find one that the refurb company isn't to picky on the cores, you might be able to slip back your single piston oems and save $60-100 more.
Note: The 13" calipers look way different.
MikeH

Chris,

I got my Cobra calipers and Banjo bolts from the place linked below and bought the cadium plated slotted rotors directly from KVR. I used 13" rotors on front and stock size rotors on the back, both were drilled with dual bolt patterns to fit either a 4.50" or the T-bird 4.25" bolt circle.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=671cPath=6

Thses threads have some good info and pictures on doing the 13" brakes.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87329

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=746535&postcount=19

David

also I noticed that Baer kit comes with a master cylinder...that will increase the price

Oh yeah...and I got the Cobra Aniversary kit 13" cross/slotted rotors and dual piston calipers on my 91 and it is beautiful and amazing braking over stock and at least half the price of the SS Brake kit

Last edited:
Back