5.0L carb swap - need help wiring gauges

jer_89SC

I've searched alot but haven't found what I'm looking for. I've swapped the 3.8 in my 89 SC for a carbed 5.0L, and I need to hook up the oil pressure, temp gauge, and tach. I was wondering how to wire them in to use the original gauges.

If anybody has any ideas or a wiring diagram, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Temp and Oil is easy since all they do is provide a path to ground, run wire to original sensor.

Yea thats what I was planning to do, but I don't know the wire colours. I think that oil is white with red stripe, but don't know what the temp one is

Any idea on tach?

Thanks!

the tac on the stock guage cluster is not going to work with a 5.0 the tach is calibrated for a 6 cyl engine. and will give you the wrong readings on a v8. most aftermarket tachs have a switch or some way of telling the tach that its hooked to a 4,6,8 or more cyl engine.

i owuld use the stock sending units from the 3.8 for the temp and oil pressure switch. but also add a good oil pressure guage or perform the oil guage mod (search the forum) and use a mustang guage sender.

good luck post some pics of the engine install up here.

I'm running a double a-pillar gauge pod with oil and temp, I just wanted to have the factory gauges also working. Found a post that says u can use a factory 5.0l tach in place of the SC one, so I might give that a try

all I really need to know is the wire colours going to the oil and temp sending units. If anyone knows them, that would be awesome. I'll get some pics as soon as I can

thanks!

My schematics are for 92+ but I can see what I can find.

Red/White is Temp

White/Red is Oil

FWIW TACH is Tan/Yellow

Last edited:
Awesome, the temp and oil work, I'll have to wait and see on the tach.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Once I figure out how to post some pics, I'll put some up

Back