Front hubs

madebyme

I had a set of the billet rims from a Mustang sitting in my garage for years. Of course the bolt pattern is different so I bought a set of spacers that change the pattern. LOVE how the back looks but the fronts hang out a half inch or so and detract from the lines. Since deciding to keep the car, I want to keep it in as as original condition as possible. I don't want to change anything that can't be undone in a simple manner. So what are my options?

My first thought was to plane the adapters, but that would result in strength issues. Second, I thought of re-drilling a set of TBird hubs and getting Mustang rotors. Lastly, does anyone know of a set of front Mustang hubs and rotors that will bolt up with no modification? I did scan posts but didn't find anything difinitive...

Last edited:
TIMKEN Part # 513115
for the front, I'm not having luck finding part number on rockauto for the rear, they were from 99 cobra with IRS.
Alan

Any 99-04 Cobra rear irs hubs will work.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-1109-A

If you use these hubs and you plan on keeping your T-bird rotors you'll have to get a little machining done to the rotors. The center bore on the T-Bird rotors will have to be enlarged a little to fit over the center bore on the Cobra hub. The T-bird rotors will also have to be re-drilled with a 4.5" bolt pattern with a small chamfer on the backside of the stud holes so that they'll fit flush on the hub. These are things I had to get done when I did the swap. Front as mentioned just use 94-04 Mustang hubs with the abs rings and either re-drill your T-Bird rotors or buy 94-04 Mustang rotors which is what I did.

Last edited:
Any 99-04 Cobra rear irs hubs will work.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-1109-A

If you use these hubs and you plan on keeping your T-bird rotors you'll have to get a little machining done to the rotors. The center bore on the T-Bird rotors will have to be enlarged a little to fit over the center bore on the Cobra hub. The T-bird hubs will also have to be re-drilled with a 4.5" bolt pattern with a small chamfer on the backside of the stud holes so that they'll fit flush on the hub. These are things I had to get done when I did the swap. Front as mentioned just use 94-04 Mustang hubs with the abs rings and either re-drill your T-Bird rotors or buy Mustang rotors which is what I did.

I thought it was 99 specific like the rearend due to 31 splien halfshafts on later models. Just to be safe I would keep it 99, I haven't dismantled enough cobra's to know all the different changes through the years.
Thunderbird are a different story, we just change them to parts from something else.
I would go ahead and do the PBR swap while you are on the fronts then use mustang rotors. They are the same diameter as non sport rotors, markVIII's and sports had larger rotors.
Alan

I thought it was 99 specific like the rearend due to 31 splien halfshafts on later models. Just to be safe I would keep it 99, I haven't dismantled enough cobra's to know all the different changes through the years.
Thunderbird are a different story, we just change them to parts from something else.
I would go ahead and do the PBR swap while you are on the fronts then use mustang rotors. They are the same diameter as non sport rotors, markVIII's and sports had larger rotors.
Alan

31 spline is on the side of the axle shaft going into the differential, all 99-04 Cobra axles are 28 spline on the hub side. Look at the link I provided, it says right in it, for 99-04 Cobra IRS.

Ditto on the PBR swap, I did it and love it.

Last edited:
Got 'er Done

Hey thanks for all the help tracking down parts. I ordered the ABS front hubs and rotors from a 99 Mustang and kept the adapters on the rear. Looks really sweet... now on to the other little gremlins.

Attachments

• even.jpg
    even.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Back