Turbo Time!!

CMac89

All of these turbo projects coming out of the wood work, lately, I figured WHY NOT?!!

Every piece was custom fabricated except for obvious parts. I used a Mustang lower intake manifold (not impressed by them, but they aren't the worst) and built an upper out of some 5" aluminum square tubing. We built some shorty front-exit headers which worked out smoothly. The hot-side will flow well enough to support more HP than I can make with it.

Every part was looked at closely while putting it together. I'm surprised that the .96 A/R I'm using spools by 3200 RPM. It was a couple of hundred RPM lower than what I had calculated it to be.

I'm battling under-hood temperatures right now. With the blower, I ran it at 150*F constantly, but by the time I played around and got home, it was around 200*F. I doubt the stock fan is actually the difference there.

Here are some finished pics. Click on the link to see more pictures of the fabrication. http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/CMac455/Turbo Project/

6a1612de.jpg

c5030832.jpg

It's a Precision Billet 6765 (67mm) Turbo with the H-Cover (3-inch comp. housing outlet) and a .96 A/R.

It's a Precision Billet 6765 (67mm) Turbo with the H-Cover (3-inch comp. housing outlet) and a .96 A/R.

When you get tired of that I have a Precision GT42 with a 1.16 A/R and a T-6 flange you can use :D

Looking good Casey!!!

Looking good Casey...do you have room for a Griffin aluminum radiator ? Engine cooling is still my biggest problem with the turbo car, and I've pretty much concluded it's caused from the very large and thick intercooler blocking the air flow to the radiator.

David

Last edited:
Looking good Casey...do you have room for a Griffin aluminum radiator ? Engine cooling is still my biggest problem with the turbo car, and I've pretty much concluded it's caused the very large and thick intercooler blocking the air flow to the radiator.

David

Dave are you running water cooled turbos?

Looks great Casey. Guess I will still be in your rear view mirror:rolleyes: More than likely you will be in a faster bracket and I wont get stomped on in the quarter:D Look forward to seeing it at the shootout

Ken

Looking good Casey...do you have room for a Griffin aluminum radiator ? Engine cooling is still my biggest problem with the turbo car, and I've pretty much concluded it's caused from the very large and thick intercooler blocking the air flow to the radiator.

David

The largest possible radiator I can get in there would be 20"x25"x2.5". Otherwise, I would have to fabricate a lower radiator support.

I thought about buying this: http://www.weberracing.net/p682/DEI-010145-T4-Titanium-Turbo-Shield-Kit/product_info.html

It should help a little bit, but like you said, the intercooler definitely blocks it. Last time I had an intercooler on the car, it really never had any problems staying at 180*. I can try putting a pusher fan on, get an aluminum radiator, and put some water additive in it. What all have you tried on your turbo car?

Thanks for the props, guys. I left it in there wondering whenever someone would point that out. I knew it would be Double Deez!

Ken, maybe I'll turn the boost down just so I can get in your class.;)

I'll let you know, Dennis. Haha

The largest possible radiator I can get in there would be 20"x25"x2.5". Otherwise, I would have to fabricate a lower radiator support.

I thought about buying this: http://www.weberracing.net/p682/DEI-010145-T4-Titanium-Turbo-Shield-Kit/product_info.html

It should help a little bit, but like you said, the intercooler definitely blocks it. Last time I had an intercooler on the car, it really never had any problems staying at 180*. I can try putting a pusher fan on, get an aluminum radiator, and put some water additive in it. What all have you tried on your turbo car?

Casey,

I've got the biggest griffin I can fit (full width 3" thick), Mrk 8 puller, and Spal 14" pusher mounted on the other side of radiator and a high flow 180 thermostat. I'm using water wetter and antifreeze with a 70/30 mix water/coolant. Still have the stock air dam because it wouldn't help to use the GM or MP unit, because the IC sits right on top of the openings in front of the air dam.

In the winter it runs 180 all day long, but as outside temps increase so do colant temps. When temps are 90 plus outside, motor runs around 210 on the highway...a little higher in stop and go traffic. Motor doesn't seem to mind and runs great at that temp, just bugs me seeing anything higher than 195.

BTW, Chris lazo had similar problems cooling his car after installing a V8 turbo in his SC and never did solve the problem until switching to a supercharger.

David

Last edited:
The reason that the car runs so hot is that on a turbo car the IC gets hot while cruising around and actually cools off when under boost. This is due to the airflow (or lack thereof) through the IC under conditions of non boost. You'll have to get the biggest rad you can fit and a good fan. I recommend using the stock fan and dual speed control (if you have room for it).

The reason that the car runs so hot is that on a turbo car the IC gets hot while cruising around and actually cools off when under boost. This is due to the airflow (or lack thereof) through the IC under conditions of non boost. You'll have to get the biggest rad you can fit and a good fan. I recommend using the stock fan and dual speed control (if you have room for it).

That's exactly the way the ACTs are acting. I noticed it, today, while I was tuning.

I miss the stock fan, fa sho. There isn't a possible way for me to use it, though.

How much room do you have to work with for the fan? I have the stock one, but went and trimmed about an 1" all the way around to make it more low profile.

I have an extra fan you can have if you want to try and miguiver something up. I will add it to your donation box if you wish

Back