boost needle

anlo

as i have been chasing my ...what seems to be lower boost than i like...ive noticed my boost needle does not have a smooth sweep as it approaches the ''0'' and just after the ''0'' as i goose throttle just a little stagger at that point and with car off does sit left of ''0'' with car off.
after sealing all known lines tubes top known to man. i still cant get it past 9 or to 10 on the guage.. from a start wot up to 100mph until upshift light flickers on cant get it to or past 10psi boost..how valid is the "not enough restriction on the exhaust?" theory?
mostly stock ---no cats no resonator trashed mufflers with jingling in them cold air intake 1990 aod..... i think i need some back pressure dont i ?

From my understanding, any and all back pressure is bad. you do not want a restrictive exhaust at all. if you had too much back pressure, you'd have more boost. less back pressure, less boost. boost isn't a good thing, its just a measure of back pressure. the more air you can flow freely, the more efficient your engine is.. also, what style supercherger do you have on your engine? what size pulleys? 10 psi is about what it should be stock.

its regular stock charger freshly sealed and pully which i just changed seal on
maybe fresh belt would help tensioner is not far from being maxed out . my next stop was going to be a

5% pully . and then like you said maybe its fine where it is. im just used to my other 90 hitting 12 /13 easily with cats resonator and all.. i should just be happy it runs so well and cool. you know we all want more when we can get it!!!

its regular stock charger freshly sealed and pully which i just changed seal on
maybe fresh belt would help tensioner is not far from being maxed out . my next stop was going to be a

5% pully . and then like you said maybe its fine where it is. im just used to my other 90 hitting 12 /13 easily with cats resonator and all.. i should just be happy it runs so well and cool. you know we all want more when we can get it!!!

The stock boost gauges are not very accurate, suggest adding a 5% pulley with a fresh belt, and motor on.

David

PS: The colder it is outside, the more boost you will see, because colder air is more dense.

Back