PDA

View Full Version : Strange 3.8Lsc and auto trans q's

dexter302
07-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Hello everyone. Found your site from google and reading some of the faqs, Some of my questions are still not answered. If anyone has any insight or info it is greatly appreciated.

I am looking at picking up a 3.8L sc engine and trans for a project i am working on. It will be going into a highly modded jeep yj. I dont want to run a chev drivetrain like everyone else (cause i dont like chevs) and i was trying to avoid using a 302 and go with something a little different and i love the supercharged aspect for low end power while crawling.
My questions are....
How is engine oiling at high angles? does it get oil starvation easily? (steep climbs)
Does it build a decent amount of power/torque at 1200-1300 rpm? (rock crawling, trails and such)--its not a race car
I will be running an auto trans, is the trans mated to the engine in a s-coupe the a4od?
Is it the same trans as in the explorer/f150s? ( I will need the output shapt to be the same to put a transfer case on)
Would it just be better to get an ecm programmed for a 5 speed and run a c4/np208?---i know, wrong forum i guess for this question
****will a c4 bolt up to a sc3.8L?
is this engine prone to overheat? slow speeds, i will have an alum rad and electric fans though.... (i know about the ehad gasket thing)
if this engine will work, would i want a different pully to make more boost sooner, low rpms to get more torque sooner? or will; this just cause problems?

The jeep is still being built and will be on 37x13.50x15 tires, 4.88gears, locked front and rear, 4link rear, 3 link front, air shocks, 4.x geardrop in tcaseand hopefully 3.8sc, a4od, np208

I know... some questions will be hard to answer, its not in a supercoupe, but im a ford guy,,, dont want a chev powerplant like everyone else.
Any info that helps me along the was is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Its going to be doing stuff kinda like this... (this is not my jeep)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zl9NiranqQ

XR7Kurt
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I think it would do pretty well, I had a '93 Bronco with a 351 and the factory hp/torque ratings were almost identical. Low end torque is what the 3.8SC is all about. You should be able to keep it cool at low speeds with a good radiator and fans. Overdrive pullies will help the boost come on quicker and you might not have belt slip problems at the lower rpm.
I don't know about the auto trans options, AOD was the stock auto, then the later electronically controlled 4R70W. 5-speed may be an option since the SC used the M5R2 from the trucks since the T-5 didn't have a high enough torque rating.

How is engine oiling at high angles? does it get oil starvation easily? (steep climbs)

I don't know how many of us know about high angles.:confused:But some of the autocross/road race guys will know about starvation problems and solutions.
Welcome and good job not going chevy!

Kurt K
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Most of the pictures are no longer available, but this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88200&highlight=crawler) contains a lot of info on a SC powered rock crawler. I think there are other threads too.

frdlvr30
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone. Found your site from google and reading some of the faqs, Some of my questions are still not answered. If anyone has any insight or info it is greatly appreciated.

I am looking at picking up a 3.8L sc engine and trans for a project i am working on. It will be going into a highly modded jeep yj. I dont want to run a chev drivetrain like everyone else (cause i dont like chevs) and i was trying to avoid using a 302 and go with something a little different and i love the supercharged aspect for low end power while crawling.
My questions are....
Does it build a decent amount of power/torque at 1200-1300 rpm? (rock crawling, trails and such)--its not a race car
I will be running an auto trans, is the trans mated to the engine in a s-coupe the a4od?
Is it the same trans as in the explorer/f150s? ( I will need the output shapt to be the same to put a transfer case on)
Would it just be better to get an ecm programmed for a 5 speed and run a c4/np208?---i know, wrong forum i guess for this question
****will a c4 bolt up to a sc3.8L?
is this engine prone to overheat? slow speeds, i will have an alum rad and electric fans though.... (i know about the ehad gasket thing)
if this engine will work, would i want a different pully to make more boost sooner, low rpms to get more torque sooner? or will; this just cause problems?

The jeep is still being built and will be on 37x13.50x15 tires, 4.88gears, locked front and rear, 4link rear, 3 link front, air shocks, 4.x geardrop in tcaseand hopefully 3.8sc, a4od, np208

I know... some questions will be hard to answer, its not in a supercoupe, but im a ford guy,,, dont want a chev powerplant like everyone else.
Any info that helps me along the was is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Its going to be doing stuff kinda like this... (this is not my jeep)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zl9NiranqQ

I dont think starvation will be anymore of an issue than any other typical wetsump smallblock. It builds excellent torque down low which is what you need. Yes a C-4 will bolt up. It is the same bell housing pattern as a 302-351 Windsor. I would skip the A4LD/A4OD tranny you are thinking of. That will be your weak link. Especially with a 4:1 transfer. There are marginal at best and had a hard time with the factory engines they were bolted to with half the torque of a SC engine. Let alone the heat we are talking about from mudding/rock crawling. You should be fine on keeping the 3.8L cool with a large enough Aluminum radiator and a good fan/Shroud assembly...

dexter302
07-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Thanks a lot for the quicvk replies.. Very usefull info.
I will definetly be posting some more questions a pics as the build progress'.
Thanks.