Couple Lentech VB questions?

rzimmerl

I have Tim K's old trans and converter installed, full of fluid ready to go, still waiting for a replacement trans cooler from Summit yet. From what I can gather its either a Street Term more then likely a Strip Terminator VB with unknown calibration for a 2800 non locking converter, the auto shift not full manual version. If anyone knows exactly what Tim's VB is, it would be greatly appreciated.

The OD solenoid - When the 12 volts is applied to the solenoid does that engage OD or is OD engaged with no voltage applied?

Shift Pattern - When starting in 1 you just bump up to D for 2 and OD for 3, if wanting to shift auto you just leave in OD correct?

TV Pressure - Done a few searches on here and most people with the Lentech set the cable as tight as possible? I was planning to set with the gauge block and pressure gauge.

I believe the 12 on the OD relay blocks OD and without the 12 it shifts in OD below 70% throttle...we just called lentech to ask about a VB Anthony bought used --they were very helpful and answered the questions freely....might give it a shot.................Dan

The OD solenoid - When the 12 volts is applied to the solenoid does that engage OD or is OD engaged with no voltage applied?

Shift Pattern - When starting in 1 you just bump up to D for 2 and OD for 3, if wanting to shift auto you just leave in OD correct?

TV Pressure - Done a few searches on here and most people with the Lentech set the cable as tight as possible? I was planning to set with the gauge block and pressure gauge.

I beleive the 12 volts applied locks out the OD

With OD locked out it is 1 than 2 than OD for 3rd. Hold on to your hat as the transmission shifts a lot harder when done manually rather than by its self

I just set the TV cable as tight as it will go

Ken

I beleive the 12 volts applied locks out the OD

With OD locked out it is 1 than 2 than OD for 3rd. Hold on to your hat as the transmission shifts a lot harder when done manually rather than by its self

I just set the TV cable as tight as it will go

Ken

Correct on all counts.

David

Thanks for the answers. I plan to get driving again this week, finish the IC tubes and off to Dave's for a tune in a couple weeks.

I'd give Lentech a call about the calibration of the valve body. Considering the relatively low stall of the unit I'd say it's calibration 1.

I'd give Lentech a call about the calibration of the valve body. Considering the relatively low stall of the unit I'd say it's calibration 1.

You are correct, I just spoke with Lentech. Its a Street Terminator Cal 1 purchased back in 2002. They were more then helpfull, can't believe they had records back that far and were quick at finding them.

He advised I take it for a drive as Cal 1 may be a little soft for the converter. If I don't like it I am able to send the VB back to them or if I am willing he would guide thru some changes if I wanted any of the shifts to be different. This is asssuming it already has not been done since 2002.

It matters what you are looking for and your personal tastes. At calibration 1 I can still chirp the wheels. I could only picture what calibration 3 is. :eek:

Street car first, track car second. :cool:

I'd encourage ya to keep it stage 1 than. If you want to get more aggressive with it remember you can shift it manually.

I've got calibration 2 and mine shifts pretty soft at moderate throttle when automatically shifting (softer than Trans-Go medium settings), but will easily bark the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts when shifted manually.

I think it will be fine if you tighten the TV cable to max possible without restricting the throttle plate movement.

David

I've got calibration 2 and mine shifts pretty soft at moderate throttle when automatically shifting (softer than Trans-Go medium settings), but will easily bark the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts when shifted manually.

I think it will be fine if you tighten the TV cable to max possible without restricting the throttle plate movement.

David

I'll give it a shot and see how it feels, calibration 2 may be needed with the higher stall I have. Nothing has changed from the setup since the last time Curtis raced it a couple years back. Lentech said the factory TV pressure would be OK but seemed kinda leary when I mentioned setting it tight like everyone seems to do.

I'll give it a shot and see how it feels, calibration 2 may be needed with the higher stall I have. Nothing has changed from the setup since the last time Curtis raced it a couple years back. Lentech said the factory TV pressure would be OK but seemed kinda leary when I mentioned setting it tight like everyone seems to do.

The manual says you set it to maximum when you first get it installed. Than you hook up a pressure gauge and dial it in. You should be able to find the manual on their website.

Yes,

Page 6 of the manual.

----
Throttle Pressure Setup – VERY IMPORTANT (AOD Only)
The throttle valve (TV) setup is a means to provide the AOD
transmission with an input to correlate shift points with throttle
position. It can be very sensitive, but once adjusted properly,
provides consistent shift timing. It can also serve as a safeguard
which prevents the transmission from shifting into OD under full
power.
Baseline Adjustment
Cable Type
Adjust cable so it is pulled out all the way when the accelerator is
placed at “Wide Open Throttle”
Linkage Type
• Adjust linkage so rod is pushed a far as it will travel with
accelerator at “Wide Open Throttle”
• Test drive vehicle and if it shifts too late (delayed), back it
down 1/8th of an inch and try again.
• After test drive, recheck fluid level
Custom Fabricated or Modified Applications
• For correct automatic shift control, it is necessary for throttle
and TV levers to operate in synchronicity (1:1 ratio) There
should be no slack in the cable at idle, and a small amount of
pre-load is acceptable.

Final Adjustment Using Guage
Illustration 1A
• Install a low-range fluid pressure gauge (0-30psi) in the T.V.
port (fig. 1) and adjust to 2-5psi @ idle in ‘P’. DO NOT
advance TV lever. The TV pressure can damage the gauge if
advanced too much!
• Monitor TV pressure periodically, especially after engine
modifications which require TV cable removal.

Back