My weekend SC fun (3 days, 1327 miles w/ whole family)

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
I installed both car seats and the twin-screen portable DVD player in the 95 SC, loaded everyone in the car and drove to New Castle, PA for the annual Ohio Valley meet. We stopped overnight in Columbus, OH on our way there. Luckily, I had lined up a place to stay (thanks Tom & Julie Wilhelm) because there's no way I would have found a hotel since Good Guys was there with about 5300 cars this year.

We got up the next morning and finished the drive to New Castle, PA. After checking into the hotel, we headed to the park to meet up with Dan & Peg (the hosts) and the rest of the group. After being fed at the park and hanging out, we headed to Dan & Peg's house for more food. After everyone was well-fed, we walked down the street a couple of blocks to get a better view of the fireworks....that's right, this town has its big firework display the weekend after the 4th. I was told this is because 2 of the world's biggest fireworks manufacturers are in town and started doing it this way so they wouldn't have to store the leftover fireworks--they'd just shoot them all. Anyway, it was a great display. I had another adult beverage after the show and then we headed back to the hotel. I would have loved to stay and drink a few more with Dan, but two things kept me from doing it. One, we had to drive straight through to St. Louis the next day; and two, Jenn has very little practice with driving a manual.

Sunday, we left the hotel around 9:30 AM to head home. The kids we great during the trip. We just kept cycling DVDs and we even got both of them to sleep after lunch during the drive, which says a lot, since Kolton rarely sleeps in the car. We rolled into St. Louis around 8:30 PM, with the time chance, that's 12 hours of driving.

Cliffs:
3 day weekend.
1327 miles.
Great food and friends.
Awesome fireworks.
Kids that not only survived the trip, but were good the whole way....priceless.

I thought you said you installed both car seats and "the twin-screw." I was like, "Man, you don't mess around."

Sounds like a good weekend....both the SC and the kids cooperating. Can't beat that.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Those dual screen portable DVD players are well worth the money. We took our 2 and 4 year old last year to the Outer Banks, nearly 2000 miles and 24 hours in the car they were on and helped the kids from going crazy.....somewhat...

I forgot to mention the on-the-road repairs I had to make to the 12 vdc cigarette lighter splitter I was using for the DVD player and radar detector. I stopped at the hardware store before even reaching the interstate to buy some electrical tape and tape the DVD player plug into the splitter. Then about 35 miles into the trip, and several big bumps in the highway, we had to stop on an on-ramp and do the repairs shown below. Every time we'd hit a big bump on the highway the splitter would bump loose from the cigarette lighter socket. It doesn't look pretty, but it worked.
Ohio_Valley_2010_Kids_saved_8x6.jpg

A couple of car pics:
Ohio_Valley_2010_Group_10x6.jpg

Ohio_Valley_2010_01_10x6.jpg

And some fireworks pictures, although they don't do the show any justice:
IMG_3496_10x6.jpg

IMG_3494_10x6.jpg

IMG_3488_10x6.jpg

IMG_3483_10x6.jpg

IMG_3474_10x6.jpg

IMG_3448_10x6.jpg

IMG_3517_10x6.jpg

Sounds like you had a really nice time Kurt... I'm sooo glad those days are over for me with my daughter, who now is driving and owns an 04 Focus. And I'm now her mechanic.. haha!

Great pictures BTW...

Jeff

Back