PDA

View Full Version : Soft and Firm

ThunderDave
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
:eek: .....get your minds out of the gutter. This is a SC related post. :D :rolleyes:

I'm just shooting in the dark here, cause I really don't know, BUT would it be possible to have two of the shocks front or rear set on soft and the other on firm? Or is the system set up to prevent that from happening? I mean, if your car is set on firm and you take two shocks from a car that was set on soft and put them in your car, would they still be set the same or is it a self correcting system? Would the firm light be flashing if they weren't set the same?

RalphP
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
As soon as the system switched back, the shocks would realign with the actuators.

Unless you left the actuators off.

Which makes me wonder why you'd not pull the ARC units and the ARC fuse, and run chunks'a'steel in the back and whipped-mallowcream in the front ;)

Or vice versa, whichever you prefer.

RwP

frdlvr30
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes it will feel like a 2 ton Pogo stick....

RalphP
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I'll add that setting them to soft, removing the actuators, and then setting them to firm would accomplish the same thing.

Key here is removing the actuators.

Dunno if that'll make the light blink or not, having not tried that.

RwP

ThunderDave
07-13-2010, 04:20 AM
I feel like an idiot. It didn't even cross my mind at the time that it could get things crossed up. So if I manualy change the settings on the front ones, that would solve this problem?

RalphP
07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I feel like an idiot. It didn't even cross my mind at the time that it could get things crossed up. So if I manualy change the settings on the front ones, that would solve this problem?

What problem?

RwP

XR7 Dave
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
The actuators will only go on one way. It's a 90 deg turn from soft to firm so it is impossible to put the actuators on wrong. Sounds like you have a stuck shock. Sometimes you can free them up with some WD40 and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

ThunderDave
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM
OK, I'll try that.

talonhead
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
The actuators will only go on one way. It's a 90 deg turn from soft to firm so it is impossible to put the actuators on wrong. Sounds like you have a stuck shock. Sometimes you can free them up with some WD40 and a small pair of needle nose pliers.

That or the actuator is hosed (my front ones were) replaced them no more probs.
MikeH

ThunderDave
04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Unsprung weight? I saw this term a while back and started wondering if that was what my problem was. I'm thinking back and seems like we might have tightened the upper control arm bolts while the car was in the air. From what I read, this is a no no. I wish I had known at the time. Live and learn. So I'm changing the oil and loosening the nuts on the control arms and retighten once on the ground. One question, how do you get to the nut under the master cylinder, without removing the master cylinder? :confused: I'm hoping this will solve the problem I've had.

Quik95SC
04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
One question, how do you get to the nut under the master cylinder, without removing the master cylinder? :confused:

I use the appropriate size ratchet wrench, works very well.
Not a lot of movement but it tightens fairly quickly.

Smitty

ThunderDave
04-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, just had to remember how to contort my arms to work on it. :rolleyes:
Drove it to work last night and wow, what a difference. Rides so much better and handles better. I won't make that mistake again. :o