Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Missing

sts70004

I'm missing a crankshaft pulley bolt. Not the center bolt that holds the balancer, one of the 4 that hold the pulley on. Also been chasing a squealing noise. Could be related?

any ideas? No wobble in the pulley, buy whats the size and grade of the bolt?

EDIT: The bolt isn't missing, its broken off... What does that mean?

Last edited:
Wrong bolt i didnt read whole post. Could be your harmonic balancer on the way out. I believe the bolt is an M8x1.25mmx45mm, I am not quite sure about length. Take one out and take with you to the store to get the right length. Either way if you balancer is still original, get a bhj or refurbished one you'll need it sooner or later.

Last edited:
Well I did find that the belt was glazed (never seen one before so it took a while for me to figure that out), so thats probably the squealing noise... But back to the balancer, i've got 160,000 miles on the engine, no balancer wobble, and no other apparent damage, the center bolt is still there. I know its considered a "time bomb" but any harm in running without replacing this bolt until I get a new balancer? I don't know how I'd get it out of there.

I'm missing a crankshaft pulley bolt. Not the center bolt that holds the balancer, one of the 4 that hold the pulley on. Also been chasing a squealing noise. Could be related?

Did someone remove the pulley recently? That pulley can only go on one way and it is not uncommon for someone to try and force the pulley on the wrong way, break bolt, then tighten the rest hoping it's good when now the pulley has been installed with an offset from center.

My guess is the bolt will come out of the balancer pretty easy. Pull the pulley off and see if there is something you can get a standard screw driver to push on to try and back the broken piece out. Or if a vice grip can hang onto the piece. Otherwise get a reverse cutting drill bit of the same size and drill a hole in the bolt to use an extractor. If the bolt doesn't come out from the drilling, then the extractor will get it out.

Well I dunno if they took the crank pulley off or not. My car has had a lot of history before me, I got it with 150,000 on the odometer. And the head gaskets had just went :-D So I took that as a sign is wasn't really abused. But I'll go ahead and pull the pulley off and try to get it out.

What grade bolt should I replace it with?

Last edited:
Well it doesn't matter if I can get the bolt out... Harmonic Balancer is toast :mad: :mad: :mad: I grabbed it and I could spin the outer ring around the hub and it made a funny noise while doing so. The good news: The bolt isn't broken, the hub isn't loose on the crank, so caught before any damage was done. Crankshaft position sensor might still be good or should I replace it anyway?

any ideas? No wobble in the pulley, buy whats the size and grade of the bolt?

EDIT: The bolt isn't missing, its broken off... What does that mean?
You better get that taken care of ASAP. 3 of 4 bolts snapped off inside my harmonic balancer. The guy who bought the car had to end up buying a brand new balancer for it.

I have heard of some people using the Dampner Doctor and being able to put their car back together. Haven't heard of it failing. If your car is a 89 XR7 or a 89-93 SC you can buy a replacement from your auto parts store. Dorman makes a replacement harmonic balancer and crank pulley combination for the early SC cars. it is their part number 594208 and is available right now at www.rockauto.com for $226.00. There are rock auto discount codes that will save you up to 4 or 5% off that.

Well the Damper Doctor does it for $139 and I've read lots of reviews on other sites with other cars that he does great work, and they are better than stock... Its just quite a bit more affordable from him. I am weary to try it though

Back