Exhuast Question

Super XR7

I have been working on this car (89 Cougar XR7) for the last two years and hopefully will be driving it to the next Carlisle show (03). I have a exhaust questions for you guys. I would like to have the exhaust dump out in front of the rear tires. My thoughts are to run 2.25" down pipes into two mufflers then out into a Magnason resonator (longest available) then 3" back to behind the gas tank, split into two 2.25" and swing around to the front of the rear tires. All will be mandrel bent ss pipe. This car is not a daily driver, just for fun.

What do you think?

A little info on the engine. Complete rebuild and balanced. New Crane cam 208/208 duration and .509 lift. Ported and polished heads, 42 lb injectors, 255 lb fuel pump, 93 gas tank, hooder headers, underdrive pulleys, 10% overdrive supercharger pully, 76mm c&l MAF and a eec tuner (will buy program from Fred when complete).

Currently working on a new raised top (my design, and would send pictures for those who are interested), recoating rotors on a 94-95 supercharger. Magnum powers porting, 85mm inlet plenum and throttle body.

Thanks,
Mike Tuck
Super XR7
email: tuck@protomet.com

exhaust

Well with the exhaust design you described. There seems to be many flows with it.

Well first is you will have to run the exhuast closer to the ground and if you hit a bump there goes the exhuast. Unless you redo the under part of the xr7 so the exhaust sits higher but that would be alot of work but sometimes it can be worth it.

second you have a good cam in there and with you having to return the exhaust back up front to infront of the wheels you are going to create more back pressure because of all the turns. You will gain torque but loose higher end horsepower.

Another thought if you really want to do this would be to leave it at true duals and a two in and 2 out magna flow res then run back to where you want. This will create less restriction.

Raymond

Well if you MUST have a side exiting exhuast you could use FLAT exhit diffussers to lessen the ground clearance problem.:)

I just picked my car up from the exhaust shop yesterday. I'm extremely pleased with the set-up that I'm running. Here goes:

I've got a true-dual, 2.5" system all done in stainless steel. I'm running 2.5" downtubes from ported stock manifolds with mandrel bends up to a 'high-flow' 2.5" cat on each side. Then I've got 2.5" pressure bent pipe back to an X-pipe, back under a newer style fuel tank to a pair of Borla Turbo XL stainless steel mufflers (a cavernous 19" long by 9.5" wide by a shallow 4" tall). The exhaust exits these by a couple of stock style turn-downs.

I gambled on the bigger mufflers and the X-pipe doing enough to quieten things down that I could skimp on the resonator(s), and it seems to have paid off.

The sound is AWESOME, and the flow seems to be great!!!

I'm working on getting some pics, and when I do I'll post them.

Cheers,

Sean

I'd like to oblige, but I think the only way I'll get any pics worth posting will be to get the car up on a hoist. I just don't think I'll get enough clearance if I simply jack the car up to take good shots. As soon as I can get the car into a shop willing to let me 'borrow' their hoist long enough to snap a few photos, I'll get them posted.

Best regards,

Sean

Back