trans mount and/or motor mounts bad?

vettewars

This is a stock 91 auto...130K miles.

Over the past year, a vibration has started only when on the highway, it's only there when you just put a bit of pressure on the gas.....otherwise with pedal or no pedal...the vibration disappears. If you're cruising at highway speed and throw the car in neutral....then it's really bad....and funny it's not affected by reving the engine at that point when in neutral.

It reminded me most of bad U-joints...so I changed both....but now the vibration is much worse.

No vibration when sitting at all, I don't feel anything coming through the shifter during any of this...so I wonder if it's not the trans mount.

I know the car has enough miles to probably change the motor mounts....I'm wondering if it's marginal motor mounts in combo with marginal trans mount.

Check mounts

I would start by checking the driveshaft to be sure it is tight near the rear end (you could also try changing its phase by 90 degrees). Also, check the rear end mounts and, as you said, motor and trans mounts. With 130k on the ticker, I would be surprised if any of those mounts are still good.

Good luck,
Anthony

Back