Code 48

BirdofPrey97

Have a code 48, C Coil Pack 3 (C) circuit failed (3.8L SC only)

Assuming this requires a new coil pack?

Also have a low voltage reading from the MAF. Wondering if my DIS isn't about to shell?

imo, replace the coil first. erase the codes. run it for a few miles then recheck the codes. if the maf codes comes back then check wires first. if all good then try some carb cleaner on the maf.

Code 48 High flow unmetered air (check for large vacuum leak, inlet hoses etc.)
Electronic Ignition - coil primary circuit failure.
A Primary coil circuit failure code can be set by stall of the engine. Likely that there is nothing wrong. Seen it many times....clear it and retest would be my suggestion...

Code 48 High flow unmetered air QUOTE]

Where is this code info from?

Ignore that part. It means that for code 48 to refer to the Coil Primary code for the 3.8L SC...not the unmetered air for other applications.....Sorry should have mentioned that
It came from here....did a search instead of getting my book out....
http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/2digit.html
If the car has stalled in the last 80 or so ignition cycles....clear the 48 and see if it comes back.....trust me....

It doesnt stall enough to die, just stumbles. Then it takes off and the tach reads fine. Betting it's the DIS the more research I do.

Well the DIS is a Primary Ignition component. Technically that is...And didnt know you were actually having issues....

Back