PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Rods

STEVE29
07-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Anyone know who sells connecting rods for the 89 SC, stock replacement?

the-big-e
07-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I have a few sets with pistons still on them.....

Give me a zip code and I'll quote you a price.....

STEVE29
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks. I was actually just asking if anyone knew if there were new or reman'd retailers that sold stock replacements, but if you've got some good used rods I'm interested. I took my engine to the machine shop for a rebuild and unfortunately he told me that all the rods were bent or twisted. I'm not exactly sure on the date of the block, its appears to be an 89 casting but not sure if it came from an 89 or 90 car. Is there any difference in the rods in those years?

Here's my zip 29412. I'm not too far from you, I'm in Charleston, SC.

Steve

XxSlowpokexX
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
If you have the choice go with some 94-95 rods and pistons

STEVE29
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah I wish I had known the rods were bad before. Unfortunately, I've already bought pistons and they can't be returned at this point. It would have been nice to go with a long rod setup but I can't throw the money away I spent on pistons.

nickleman60
07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
XR7Dave aka Dave Dalke sells some replacement stock size rods I think.

XR7 Dave
07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah I wish I had known the rods were bad before. Unfortunately, I've already bought pistons and they can't be returned at this point. It would have been nice to go with a long rod setup but I can't throw the money away I spent on pistons.

I don't think you are understanding what he is suggesting. The 94/95 SC rods are not longer, nor does a "long rod" provide any substantive benefit over standard length. Damon suggested the 94/5 rod because it is stronger and it has a bushed pin end.

All aftermarket pistons have the option of being installed as floating or pressed, so the 94 rod is a stronger replacement for stock 89-93 rods.

I have a set of reconditioned 94/5 rods with ARP bolts already installed if you are interested.

There are no standard length after market replacement rods available, so you are limited on options at this point.

STEVE29
07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
I guess my post wasn't very clear. I was trying to say if I knew from the beginning that I would have to replace both the pistons and the rods that I would have pursued a long rod setup. You definitely bring up something interesting though. I thought pistons were manufactured for either a pressed pin or bushed rod and weren't interchangeable. I'll have to check my pistons.

Mike8675309
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Pins don't press into the piston, they press into the rod. The main allowance a piston needs to support both is a grove in the ends of the piston pin bore to support a pin lock. Otherwise all the other dimensions are the same.