Running to No-Start Electrical Problem

CMac89

I figured I would post this just to get everybody's incite. Recently I have had a problem tuning my car. It would function decently at WOT, but on part throttle, everything was running sub-par. A week after finishing the turblow build, the car randomly started running terribly. It acted as though is were misfiring on a couple of cylinders (comparable to that of a DIS failure.) The car went from running, to no firing in about a week. I have tested the DIS, cam sensor, coil pack, vacuum leaks, valve lash, grounds etc... Basically everything I can think of. I'm getting spark, but that doesn't mean it would have a sufficient magnitude or have correct timing.

It dawned on me today that I have been having a part throttle problem since September of last year. Even changing from the Whipple setup to a turbo setup the part throttle/popping, random lean condition still identically existed. I'm sure whatever was causing this running problem is what finally caused my no-start condition. I have purchased a complete engine harness and EEC from another vehicle to swap out (haven't received it yet.) This is about the only other thing that I have not tested for.

While I was pulling the EEC harness out of the cabin, I noticed what seems to be a shield ground separated. It definitely seems as if it should run into the EEC somewhere. Maybe you guys know? I'm not sure what problems this could cause either. I don't know if I pulled it out of the EEC plug while I was removing it or not. Here's a picture:

147d34c4.jpg

According to the EVTM, that shielding wire needs to be connected to a grounding nut a few inches below the EEC.

I see 5 I believe.

Pin 6 BK/W wire
Pin 20 BK wire (last of 1st row)
Pin 40 BK/LG (last of 2nd row)
Pin 49 O
Pin 60 BK/LG (last of 3rd row)

Hope this helps
Paul

Those grounds seem fine.

The ground only ground that is grounded to the car's frame, on the EEC harness, is one black wire. The shield ground was not connected to it whenever I pulled it off. The terminal doesn't show any signs of sharing a connection with the detached shield ground.

Just to make sure, I'm referencing the bare, non-insulated wire that is detached in the picture.

Last edited:
I found another symptom. The key-on chime and the upshift light have not been coming on. They both randomly came on at the same time and I heard the motor hit once. After that, the key-on chime and upshift light stayed off.

I then figured something would be wrong with the ignition switch and I found that the plastic terminal port was separated from the contact slider/plunger. I bought a new one and it didn't fix the problem. Definitely needed a new one, though, so good thing I checked.

Any thoughts?

Does anybody have a schematic/diagram for the dash part of the harness that runs into the EEC harness? One has a blue connector with large gauge wires and the other is a black connector with comparably smaller gauge wires.

Back