PDA

View Full Version : Special 200 amp Generation 6 Alternator ****CLOSED****

nliberto@powder
07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
This Group Buy Is Closed. Contact the Supplier directly for Current Price and Delivery Information.

I recently purchased a specially wound 200 amp output generation 6 alternator from a shop in Ohio. They configured this unit to be truely "plug & play" where the back case was clocked to the right position, the pulley was a direct replacement for the factory one (they do under drive pullies as well), and the wiring was configured using a pigtail that plugged into the factory harness. The unit came with a benchmark test analysis printout and a one year warranty.:D

The unit fit my 1989 SC without modification or wire splices!:cool: The only thing I had to change was the top bolt, as the alternator housing is not tapped as the factory Mitsubishi was. Using a new 3/8" bolt, nut, flat washer, and lock washer did the trick to complete the installation.

They make this unit in stock housings, polished aluminum housings, and chrome housings.

I asked them if they would do a "Group Purchase" deal with our club. They said yes. This won't help me, as I already purchased one for "list price".:(

The first step is to gauge interest with club members that may want a "plug & play" alternator for their SC or XR7 that provides 200 amps of output.

Any interest? If so, please respond to this thread and I will get them to provide prices.

oSCar3.8
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
interested

nliberto@powder
07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
That's one!

DrFishbone
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
interested...depending on price of course...:cool:

nliberto@powder
07-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Ok we got two!

I thought we would get more interest in a plug & play high output alternator for our cars, given the troubles many members had doing it themselves (at least by what I read in previous threads about alternator swaps).:confused:

A question about alternator output: The factory Mitsubishi was rated at 110 amps, this special generation 6 is rated at 200 amps, what is the normal output rating for a standard generation 6?

rzimmerl
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
nevermind...

nliberto@powder
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
No Problem!

rlittlep
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Interested, depending on price. What was retail?

nliberto@powder
07-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I purchased this alternator from my car stereo installer. I paid $450.00 for the alternator, plus $25.00 shipping to CT. Dealing directly with the alternator company and ordering in quantity will make it cheaper.

The upcharge for chrome or polished was another $150.00. I paid for this upgrade, but later cancelled, when I heard it would delay delivery for a week and affect performance by reducing heat dissapation. :cool:

He even advertises a dual alternator set-up that can provide energy to the most power-hungry stereo system. :eek: My stereo is only 1,000 watts, so I didn't need this Godzilla set-up! ;)

Right now, I need to get an idea of club member interest to ask the alternator company for appropriate pricing. For instance, pricing for 2 to 5 units, 5 to 10 units, etc. They never heard of SCCoA, or about our particular application, but they do a lot for the Mustang crowd. :rolleyes:

I told them, if it fits, is easy to install, and is priced right, I would bring it to the SCCoA club members for group purchase. Remember, I already bought mine for list and get nothing out of this deal. I am just providing a good solution to difficult problem. :D

We now have three interested, by my count.

nliberto@powder
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Attached is the alternator output report delivered with my unit. Max output was 202 amps! :)

Also attached is copy (poor visual quality) of the Warranty. :)

Please do not call the alternator company directly, as it will hurt our chances to pool our sales into one large purchase with an equally large discount! ;) Plus they normally sell only to dealers and may get upset if numerous people call them about a one unit sale.

XxSlowpokexX
07-24-2010, 12:20 AM
STandard G6 is 135amp but I been told 110. I have one in my car

Mike8675309
07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
interested

oppie
07-25-2010, 12:25 AM
count me in im intereated lmk more

nliberto@powder
07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
STandard G6 is 135amp but I been told 110. I have one in my car

I verified with the alternator company that the Generation 6 puts out 110 to 130 amps, depending upon how it is built and which application it is for.:(

This means that this unit has almost 100% more output than a stock generation 6 and a stock Mitsubishi!!!:eek: :cool:

nliberto@powder
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Well it looks like we have 5 people interested in this Group Buy! :)

That should be enough to get the Alternator Company interested! :D

I will keep everyone posted!

RedSC93
07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
You paid $450? Damn....

nliberto@powder
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
You paid $450? Damn....

Yeah the price was a little steep. But the Powermaster 200 amp from Summit is $370+/- and doesn't fit the car without serious bracket modification. And the stock generation 6 is only rated at 110 to 130 amps. :(

So figured this was worth a shot. To tell you the truth, I did not expect that it would fit as a "plug & play" without any modifications, but it surprised me and did!:D

A trouble-free installation and higher output were worth the extra bucks.:p

David Neibert
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Can you please post a few pictures of it installed on your car.

David

nliberto@powder
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
To All:

The alternator company is in the process of pricing the group buy for our group. They have done this for other clubs, including the Hummer group.

They told me these units are not "rebuilt" units but new units, that are specially built for high output. There is no "core charge" or "core return" required. Furthermore, they come with an unbeatable warranty. :)

nliberto@powder
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Can you please post a few pictures of it installed on your car.

David

As you requested, see attached photos of installation including the pigtail for wiring. These photos show the unit installed, so it is hidden by the IC piping. I was not going to remove the pipe, as I am out of the "special gasket" material that Evahoff sells for $18+ per set! :eek:

The car was running during the photographic session.:cool:

nliberto@powder
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
See Below.

David Neibert
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Have you checked to see what kind of voltage it's putting out at idle ?

David

nliberto@powder
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Have you checked to see what kind of voltage it's putting out at idle ?

David

This alternator puts out a STEADY 14 volts at idle. :D

BLOWN38
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Will this work on a 94-95? I know the body is the same, are the electronics?

nliberto@powder
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Will this work on a 94-95? I know the body is the same, are the electronics?

We can always check with the Alternator Company just to be sure. For now we can assume it is compatable. But even if it isn't they will make up the harness pigtail to be compatable. :cool:

When they made my unit, I provided the hint of using a Generation 6 unit. They researched the stock Mitsubishi for my 1989 SC and created the pigtail and clocked the back housing to match. :D

They will do this for any unit before they manufacture the unit for shipment!:)

nliberto@powder
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
This alternator puts out a STEADY 14 volts at idle. :D

David:

Did you see the attachment with the output at different RPM for my specific alternator. Each unit is benchmarked and documented before shipping. The benchmark analysis is delivered with the unit.

David Neibert
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
David:

Did you see the attachment with the output at different RPM for my specific alternator. Each unit is benchmarked and documented before shipping. The benchmark analysis is delivered with the unit.

Yes I saw the attachment..the reason I asked is that typically a 200 amp alternator doesn't put out as much voltage at idle and lower rpms as a 130 or 170 amp unit will. Since your car appears to me mostly stock, I'm assuming your idle rpm is probably around 750. If that's true, then the underdrive pulley I'm using (minus 23%) would require around 1000 rpm idle to make the same voltage. I'd like a minimum of 14.5 volts at 1000 rpm idle with an underdrive pulley. For that reason, I'd be more intersted in a 170 amp unit than a 200.

David

Mike8675309
07-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes I saw the attachment..the reason I asked is that typically a 200 amp alternator doesn't put out as much voltage at idle and lower rpms as a 130 or 170 amp unit will. Since your car appears to me mostly stock, I'm assuming your idle rpm is probably around 750. If that's true, then the underdrive pulley I'm using (minus 23%) would require around 1000 rpm idle to make the same voltage. I'd like a minimum of 14.5 volts at 1000 rpm idle with an underdrive pulley. For that reason, I'd be more intersted in a 170 amp unit than a 200.

One suggestion as well David. Specify what you need at crankshaft RPM at the bottom (i.e. crankshaft rpm, 750) and then what you need at crankshaft RPM at the top (6200). That way they can figure out a pulley size and configuration of the alt that will balance things out and hit your targets even if that means the alt may not hit 200, but is perfect for your needs.

Also when you specify voltage, you may want to give them a clue on AMP draw at that same RPM. I.e. if you have x number of fans running with a running draw of 8amp each. As the Voltage that can be hit is somewhat a function of the amperage draw. V = R * I. Perhaps we need a thread in the tech forum investigating what we really need from an alternator, particularly those of us with high current needs (multiple fans/pumps, big injectors at high RPM).

XxSlowpokexX
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Guys I did this swap over a year ago. Fits much better then a 3G and looks better as well. I have a 94

nliberto@powder
07-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Sorry I have not been able to respond back to anyone the last couple of days. I slipped on some steps at my house on Wednesday and ruptured (tore) my Quad Tendon on my left knee. After emergency surgery and two days in the hospital I am now back home in a cast. Needless to say I won't be driving a stick (my 89 SC is a stick) for the next 3 months.:mad:

The good news is this morning I was able to get the pricing and details for the group buy worked out. See a later posting for the details

Thanks,

Nick the Cripple!!!:(

nliberto@powder
07-31-2010, 11:18 AM

David

The Alternator company can set-up your unit anyway you want. They pride themselves on custom made units.:) I am not sure how these custom features will be reflected in the pricing.

nliberto@powder
08-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I have worked out the details for a group buy on the specially wound generation 6, 200 amp, alternator that fits most all our SC & XR7 cars. This is a "plug & play" unit that includes a pigtail to connect to existing vehicle wiring. This unit is for stock replacment without any modifications and includes the pulley. Special orders for under drive or other modifications (i.e. output amps, idle speed voltage, etc.) are available for an upcharge. Units come in stock aluminum cases. Polished Aluminum or Chrome Plating is available for an upcharge ($150) :D Please specify vehicle application (year, model, etc.) when ordering.

Following are the prices and ordering details:

List Price = $450
2 to 4 units = $395
5 to 10 units = $375
11 to 15 units = $365
16 to 20 units = $345
21 to 25 units = $325
26+ units = $300

Shipping & Handling to lower 48 states = $25.00 UPS ground. Other locations will be higher.

Each unit comes with a warranty and a printout of the bench test (see attached to previous posting on this thread). Photos of unit intalled on my 1989 SC also attached to previous posts.

Contact at the alternator company for technical questions and ordering: Ohio Generator - Ask for Tom (330) 875-6677 and FAX (330) 875-6688. Refer to SCCoA Club Group Buy (they know us as "the T-Bird Guys").

Payment is MC, Visa, Discover to Ohio Generator.

Group Buy Close Date is August 31, 2010'

Send me PM to keep track of those who ordered units and I will post the score, as necessary. :)

nliberto@powder
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
What's up? Has anyone signed up for this Group Buy yet? Has anyone contacted Ohio Generator to discuss their particuloar application yet?

I was just wondering.:confused:

DrFishbone
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
What's up? Has anyone signed up for this Group Buy yet? Has anyone contacted Ohio Generator to discuss their particuloar application yet?

I was just wondering.:confused:

Not that they're not worth it, but they cost a bit more than I had hoped.

WisSCman
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
if the listed price was with plating I would take one, but another 150 for plating is to much and sometimes looks means as much as the output.

nliberto@powder
08-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Not that they're not worth it, but they cost a bit more than I had hoped.

Ok, let's try something completely different. :cool:

What is a fair price for a tested, unconditionally warranteed, 200 amp, generation 3, plug & play, alternator? :confused:

With some input from you memebers I will go back to the company and try to get better pricing. Remember, there is no core charge and these are new, not rebuilt, units!!!

Just because I was willing to spend $450 on this unit, doesn't mean that all you guys think it is of equal value to you. :D

nliberto@powder
08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
if the listed price was with plating I would take one, but another 150 for plating is to much and sometimes looks means as much as the output.

If you get another member to commit, the price with plating would be the same as list ($450). Two units cost $395 and the upcharge is $150. :p

JKJ454
08-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Count me in problem is i need it NOW.

nliberto@powder
08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Count me in problem is i need it NOW.

If we get another member to buy, you can get a significant discount!!:D

Call all your friends!

nliberto@powder
08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
The group buy for the "plug & play" 200 amp generation 6 alternator is tomorrow (August 31st).

We only have one person signed up.

Any more takers????

nliberto@powder
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
This Group Buy for custom 200 amp alternators is now closed. We only had one member interested in purchasing this product. :o

Anyone interested in purchasing this product must now contact the manufacturer "Ohio Generator" directly using the information listed earlier in this thread. :p

I know this vendor purchased some components in anticipation of selling some to our membership. Therefore, you may be able to secure a sell price that is less than list, but not as good as the Group Buy price. ;)