what leak is this?

GREATWHITE666

Hey guys--
now if youre sitting in the driver's seat, the car is leaking a fluid on the left front side. Its pink-- and its really far up to the front, in front of the wheel just behind the bumper all the way over to the left-- power steering fluid is topped off fine-- so i dont think its that, but i did notice the power steering was topped off a little bit over the recommened spot,, could that cause a leak? any help would make me grateful!
thanks-
Damon

still,,

really? transmission fluid can leak that far up? that was also overloaded last time i looked--- its a new tranny with only about 12K on it-- is it possible over filling could make it leak? thanks alot for the help--
Damon

What color windsheild washer fluid do you have in your resevoir. There is pink stuff and blue stuff, this could be it. Automatic tranny fluid is more of a red color than pink.

Is the fluid thats leaking out oily or watery?

Hmm

It's oily, it actually looks like tranny fluid because i have a really small leak of that to and that comes from under the center of the car where the tranny is-- and the fluid looks nearly the same-- but the tranny like i said is practically new so perhaps everything wasnt tightened enough? and also the tranny fluid is above where is should be so it was over filled... so i don tknow if it being over filled could make it leak.. (my car is lowered 1.5 inches so its hard to see, god i wish i had a rack to get it up on!) thanks for helping me :) any more info , please let me know--
-Damon

OK, if its coming from the front of the car, either you have a leaky tranny cooler line, or the tranny cooler line is not tight enough where it plugs into the rad.

Go under you hood and look for these lines, similar to brake lines but bigger. There will be 2 of them (one for in and one for out). Try moving the lines in and out of the rad, if they move at all, you've found your leak. If those are tight, then start tracing the lines back to the transmission untill you find your leak.

ok

Great, thank you very much for that--- and these lines are easy to get at from under the hood right?--- because i cant fit underneath the car-
Thank you so much!
-Damon

not sure where the fittings are located at the radiator on an automatic because I drive a 5-speed, but they shouldn't be too hard to get at...however, if you have to trace the lines back to the tranny, you'll have to go underneath the car.

Actually, its much easier to get to the from under the car, but you might have to raise it about 8" or more to get under. If you change your own oil, you'll be familiar with what to do.

BTW, don't drive the car too long with a leaking tranny line. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is replace your transmission.

no!

AH! dont say that,, haha. Its not too bad of a leak, and i am checking the tranny fluid all the time and its always fine-- but next time i can possibly get under the car, i will definitely look at all i can, thanks guys--
Damon

Back