Battery Relocation/Disconnect switch installed

nickleman60

I still have to finish hooking up my alternator wire because I'm waiting for an item I ordered. The box is aluminum with the vent tube in the back. In the front I moved the power relay box as much as the stock harness would allow and I also installed an aluminum overflow tank for the radiator. You don't realize how much room the battery and stock overflow tank take up until they're gone. I also installed a nitrous pressure gauge on the bottle so I know it's at the optimal pressure when I use it.

Attachments

• battery relocation 2 005.JPG
    battery relocation 2 005.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 300
  • battery relocation 2 008.JPG
    battery relocation 2 008.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 528
  • battery relocation 2 002.JPG
    battery relocation 2 002.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 252
  • battery relocation 2 003.JPG
    battery relocation 2 003.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 251
  • battery relocation 2 004.JPG
    battery relocation 2 004.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I still have to finish hooking up my alternator wire because I'm waiting for an item I ordered. The box is aluminum with the vent tube in the back. In the front I moved the power relay box as much as the stock harness would allow and I also installed an aluminum overflow tank for the radiator. You don't realize how much room the battery and stock overflow take up until they're gone. I also installed a nitrous pressure gauge on the bottle so I can have it at the optimal pressure when I use it.

What...No bottle heater ??

David

What...No bottle heater ??

David

Sharp eyes grasshopper. I'll have one by the cool months of the Shootout, I'll just remove the remote bottle opener, which I do anyways when I'm at the track to aid in bottle changes, unplug it and plug in a bottle warmer.

Sharp eyes grasshopper. I'll have one by the cool months of the Shootout, I'll just remove the remote bottle opener, which I do anyways when I'm at the track to aid in bottle changes, unplug it and plug in a bottle warmer.

Strongly suggest getting a heater that uses a pressure transducer (like NX) to control heating instead of a temp sensor strapped to the outside of the bottle.

David

Looks good... where is your fuse for that battery line? how did you run the cable from the motor? Is it under the car or through the passenger compartment? Still need to run the ignition kill wire I see.

the only challenge I find with trunk mounted batteries is making some room to put anything else in the trunk if you are going to take a trip. i.e. with your cut out switch mounted like it is, you'll probably want to pull the arm of the switch if just driving around. Otherwise something shifting in the trunk could hit that arm pretty easy. One way to help that would be to raise the switch a bit, and have the arm swing under the switch rather than over it. Then you'll also need to protect the switch terminals from anything touching them and creating an arc.

Looks good... where is your fuse for that battery line? how did you run the cable from the motor? Is it under the car or through the passenger compartment? Still need to run the ignition kill wire I see.

the only challenge I find with trunk mounted batteries is making some room to put anything else in the trunk if you are going to take a trip. i.e. with your cut out switch mounted like it is, you'll probably want to pull the arm of the switch if just driving around. Otherwise something shifting in the trunk could hit that arm pretty easy. One way to help that would be to raise the switch a bit, and have the arm swing under the switch rather than over it. Then you'll also need to protect the switch terminals from anything touching them and creating an arc.

Remember, this is a '94. The cable runs from the battery then underneath the car along the drivers side frame rail then up to the main fuse box to the same lug the positive cable was hooked to when the battery was in the front. I wrapped both batt/alt cables in heat shield (good for 2000 degrees it claims) tape in the area where it turns up from underneath the car and heads up to the main fuse box. The alt. kill wire is run, I'm just waiting for an in-line 12v circuit breaker I ordered to arrive. I tested my set up to make sure it kills the motor before removing the alt. kill wire to put the in-line fuse in, it killed it instantly.

As far as putting stuff in the trunk, I never do. This is not a trip car nor is it a daily driver. The only thing that gets put in this car is my azz or somebody else's azz................:p

Last edited:
That is a very nice install. Amazing how much you have gotten done to that car this winter. Can't wait to see it!

Ira

That is a very nice install. Amazing how much you have gotten done to that car this winter. Can't wait to see it!

Ira

Thanks, 12v circuit breaker came in today, it's made for an audio system. I got it installed and everything seems to be working fine.

Now............on to the next mod............does it ever end?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 12v circuit breaker 007.JPG
    12v circuit breaker 007.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 12v circuit breaker 009.JPG
    12v circuit breaker 009.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 12v circuit breaker 011.JPG
    12v circuit breaker 011.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 12v circuit breaker 012.JPG
    12v circuit breaker 012.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 177
So no fuse on the line running to the power distribution box up front? I'd be concerned with that one since in an accident, it could become grounded and would essentially heat up until the wire melts or the battery blows up. With the size of the wire most battery cables are for trunk mounts, it's the battery that is more likely to overheat than the cables melt (though the insulation will probably melt off).

You can use a fuseable link, or I'm using a 250amp Mega Fuse from Little fuse. It's a slow blow design so it should only blow should a positive cable get grounded.

So no fuse on the line running to the power distribution box up front? I'd be concerned with that one since in an accident, it could become grounded and would essentially heat up until the wire melts or the battery blows up. With the size of the wire most battery cables are for trunk mounts, it's the battery that is more likely to overheat than the cables melt (though the insulation will probably melt off).

For as many times as I go down the track, at most 3-4 times a year, I'm not going to worry about it at this date/time but I probably will install one when I find exactly what I want. I'll keep in mind the one that you are using.

As the car sits in the garage 90% of it's life, the odds are low on an accident happening.
What does that tell you?..................I need to drive the damn thing more..................:rolleyes:

you do good work.. looks good

but. you need a fuse inline as close as you can to the battery. you never know if the cable becomes chaffed or you accidently touch it to ground when you are in engine compartment you could explode the battery (probably not but who knows) or damage the other parts of the car like computeres ect. it is a fire hazard also.. you can go the stereo shops (good ones) and get really nice fues holders that go inline with the power cable.

you do good work.. looks good

but. you need a fuse inline as close as you can to the battery. you never know if the cable becomes chaffed or you accidently touch it to ground when you are in engine compartment you could explode the battery (probably not but who knows) or damage the other parts of the car like computeres ect. it is a fire hazard also.. you can go the stereo shops (good ones) and get really nice fues holders that go inline with the power cable.

I used Two nice fuse holders from Phoenix Gold (Stereo Equipment) in my last SN-95. They worked very well and were very pretty....
This one looks a little nicer for about the same money....http://cgi.ebay.com/200A-200-Amp-Ma...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a009a627And its gold plated YO!!!
But it is not what have used in the past. That PG stuff I used was stupid expensive....

Last edited:
I'm down a bit on circuit breakers, thus why I went with the fuse. Starters pull a bunch of current, and a circuit breaker will eventually break down internally from that load, possibly leaving you hanging. I'd keep a a spare in the car. i just carry spare fuses for everything, so the mega gets added to the pile.

remember to.. just because you don't plan to crash, you can't count on your buddy in the other lane not to crash into you.

I'm down a bit on circuit breakers, thus why I went with the fuse. Starters pull a bunch of current, and a circuit breaker will eventually break down internally from that load, possibly leaving you hanging. I'd keep a a spare in the car. i just carry spare fuses for everything, so the mega gets added to the pile.

remember to.. just because you don't plan to crash, you can't count on your buddy in the other lane not to crash into you.

sadly the truth.

Nickelman,
Your install looks clean and nice. Way better than when I did my battery relocation.

Mike I found something I liked on line and bought it, you'll be happy to know it's a style like yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200488863701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Back