Stalling , rough riding and stuttering

thejester69

Hey everyone,

I have a major problem with my bird.

I took my car to my mechanic, because my car was having problems stalling when under accelleration, and would die unless i pressed hard on the gas. He in turn counlnt diagnose anything, so I took it to Ford to be hooked up to their diagnostic machine. It told them the TPS sensor and the Idle Control were no good so I got those replaced, the car drove worse apparently. I even replaced the crankshaft sensor, and again rough ride.

Its been three weeks and I have no clue what else to do. Anyone have any suggestions? If so it would be greatly appreciated, because I dont want to get rid of my bird.

Thanks,
Paul

BTW: 93 SC, stock.

I had almost the same problem and replaced the DIS (control module), located on top of the bracket the A/C compressor is mounted. I suggest you either purchase a Motorcraft replacement or the BWD aftermarket one from Advance Auto Parts, part #CBE58P

Ray

Thanks Guys for the advise.

Apparently they told me their top mechanic has been working on it, and cant figure out what to do. The only thing now is they want me to get a new PCM.

Does anyone else think this sounds a little strange?

So its been 4 weeks since they took the car in and have attempted to replace the TPS, ignition contol module, and the crank sensor, and now they want to get the PCM.

Any suggestions still, besides get a better mechanic HAHAHA.

Thanks Guys for the advise.

Apparently they told me their top mechanic has been working on it, and cant figure out what to do. The only thing now is they want me to get a new PCM.

Does anyone else think this sounds a little strange?

So its been 4 weeks since they took the car in and have attempted to replace the TPS, ignition contol module, and the crank sensor, and now they want to get the PCM.

Any suggestions still, besides get a better mechanic HAHAHA.
Actually, it sounds reasonable. The DIS/ICM, crank sensor, and cam sensor are the usual problem culprits. So if those have not solved the problem, it would make sense to replace the EEC (aka PCM). Of course, don't overlook loose or worn plug wires. Oh and how's the fuel pressure at the rail holding up?

whats the vac read at idle??

have they tested the DIS module??

could be an injector stuck maybe

could be lots of things, dealers are good at replacing parts though, hopefully they don't charge you for a new ecu if its still good

The fuel pressure was tested and it was fine and the filter clean. The only thing that the mechanic said it was a little noisy, but not to worry about it.

I got all new plugs and wires about 3 years ago, but I only have put on less then 20KMs (approx 10k Miles), but I will pass it on.

I will how ever get them to test the vac pressure as you all recommended.

The dealership said they tested the DIS and no issues, which makes me think they dont know what they are talking about.

Well the trick is to find a PCM, no one has one for sale do they? They said the located on on the west coast, so they will bring it in for me (but want $400 for it, even if it doesnt work).

I will post anythind I hear from them and suggest they look at what you are all recommending.

Thanks again,

Paul

Last edited:
But was the fuel pressure checked under load?? or just at idle.. the fuel pump may be able to supply enough pressure at idle, but under load it may not be supplying enough???

be very careful with (so called mechanics) they really dont know much about these cars and they tend to try to figure them out on your dollar. imo your best off employing someone from the forums here to work on it. todays techs have no idea in most cases of how to fix anything if there computer doesnt tell them what to do.

dis?

Hello, first post for this newbie. Just bought a 90 that was doing the same exact thing. Pulled the dis module and scraped off the original dielectric grease cleaned and re-applied new. cured it right up. bought another module for a back up just incase. Installed a new cam ~~~ sensor and now it starts perfectly too. ?

the only way to be sure is to check the fuel pressure under load.

my 95 had a complete loss of power over 5lbs of boost, i tried everything, plugs, dis, coil pack, cam sensor, pressurized the intake for leakage, to no avail... until i finally replaced the plug wires that were recent and looked good. cured my problem instantly.

it cant hurt any more than a shop replacing all your ignition components.

If the car is able to start up and run in some fashion it is not the EEC that is the problem, so save yourself the money there. Its funny how everyone automatically points to the "electronics" of the car meanwhile the culprit 99% of the time is something mechanical.

It really sounds like 1 of 2 things.... spark isn't happening properly so bad wires, fouled plugs, DIS module, which btw, on the 89-93 requires heat sink compound, NOT dieletric grease.

The second one, which I'm leaning to is a nasty vacuum leak.

Have them check for leaks everywhere, including the IC... The core of the IC is epoxied onto the end tanks, and after this many years that epoxy can't be doing well and creating leaks on you.

Fraser

Back