electric fan blowing fuse....could my fan motor be shorting out?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Hi all,

I'm working on my 93 sc with a 5.0L conversion. Two things to mention is that the car has a factory Ford electric fan which is not the super coupe fan (i suspect n/a 3.8L or 4.6L fan) and it uses a thermostatic relay to turn the fan on.

Well a few days ago the car started to overheat and I noticed the fan did not come on. I took the fan out, applied 12v to it and the fan came on...so I attributed the problem to the old thermo relay. I replaced it with another (better) thermo relay unit, hooked everything up and when the fan tries to come on the 25A inline fuse to the fan motor blows.

Not quite sure what is going on, I double checked the connections of the new thermo unit and everything was done correctly. Could it be that the fan motor is shorting out inside and therefore blowing the fuse (and if so, is there a way I can test the motor to make sure)? Could it just be that I need a fuse with higher amperage?

...the car has a factory Ford electric fan which is not the super coupe fan (i suspect n/a 3.8L or 4.6L fan)

Could it just be that I need a fuse with higher amperage?

Check the manuals on those donors and see what the circuits call for stock...

I doubt if it's just an ordinary fuse...more like a breaker, perhaps.

Check the manuals on those donors and see what the circuits call for stock...

I doubt if it's just an ordinary fuse...more like a breaker, perhaps.

Thanks for the observation...i was told that these n/a 3.8L fans (which is what i have on tehre now) can draw up to 50A at start up...so that may explain why it blows the measly 25A fuse.

Would it make a difference if I use a fuse vs a fusable link? I was under the impression that both devices serve the same purpose.

Back