Need help with 93 SC P/S pump replacement

FireflyST

Hi,

My 1993's P/S pump just went out. I'm wondering what all is involved in replacing it. My experience working on cars is 1970s Firebird/Camaro, so some of the S/C's accessory routing is a bit foreign to me. I've read over the details in the Haynes manual, but it mentions a kit to replace the seals on the intercooler air tubes whenever they are removed (which is required when replacing the pump it seems)

Can anyone who's done this job before offer any advice? Also, a ballpark figure on parts (and if I decide to take it in, reasonable hourly labor charges?) The repair looked reasonably strightforward, but I need my car back sooner than later, so I'm wondering if this is a job I can do in a reasonably short (6-8 hours) time in the driveway.

Seen this?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70180&highlight=P/S+pump+replacement

Personally, the only time I've pulled one was off a donor car in the junk yard and it had the nose cut away :)

As I recall, there was one bolt buried and hard to get to and when I went to work on it, it was loose...most likely because it was so hard to deal with.

Like many things on these cars, it just takes time...a boatload of special tools helps as well. I have one manual with a nice diagram, so speak up if your manual is lacking in that regard and I'll scan it in if you like. Pulling the intercooler tubes - most people like the teflon gaskets of the 'net.

If you buy a rebuilt pump, don't forget to remove your pressure sensor if you turn in your old pump for a core. Rebuild kits are not that expensive. Not sure how your pump failed, exactly, but check for metal, etc. before closing it back up. Bleeding the PS system is a science...search here for details.

Good luck in any case.

Last edited:
Not a bad job really, allow most of a day if you can.

You will need a puller for the pulley, you can rent them free at Autozone, etc..

I found it easier to remove the intercooler to free up some space. 2 bolts at the top and both tubes. But you don't have to.

I leave the alternator attached to the accessory bracket and pull the whole bracket, only a few bolts.

You will need to reseal the IC tubes, you can use the Teflon gaskets that are out there or allot of guys here you RTV to seal them up.

Try and make sure to get a new pump if possible. On an 89 I had I went though 3 rebuilt pumps form a very good local auto parts here. Had it down to 45 mins. to change it out on the 3 rd. one. Air tools etc..:D

Haynes manual really sucks for these cars if you are going to keep it and work on it pick up a factory manual when you can.

Good luck

KMT, I'm thinking anything extra will help, thanks. I'll take that diagram.

I was also asked at Napa if I had variable assist on my power steering. How can I tell?

What scares me is, it siezed so hard that the pulley actually snapped into the dishlike portion and the ring that's turned by the belt. Luckily nothing else got ruined.

Oh crap, I never thought to look and see if maybe the pulley just broke.

Thanks for everything so far! Really informative!

Last edited:
Back