95 Ignition Cylinder Question

Belisarius

I'm replacing the ignition cylinder and want to see if I can get the same key cut as I have already so I don't have to replace the door locks or have three keys for the car.

Rock Auto has five ignition cylinders marked as follows:

SW-2396 Number 1 Cut A
SW-2397 Number 2 Cut B
SW-2398 Number 3 Cut C
SW-2399 Number 4 Cut D
SW-2400 Number 5 Cut E

The Motorcraft parts site lists the same.

My cylinder has the following part number E7LB-11A127 AA

Also on the black plastic piece are 3 J D in circles.

On both the Ignition/Door key and the trunk key are a tiny letter "H" stamped into the side of the key.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm replacing the ignition cylinder and want to see if I can get the same key cut as I have already so I don't have to replace the door locks or have three keys for the car.

Rock Auto has five ignition cylinders marked as follows:

SW-2396 Number 1 Cut A
SW-2397 Number 2 Cut B
SW-2398 Number 3 Cut C
SW-2399 Number 4 Cut D
SW-2400 Number 5 Cut E

The Motorcraft parts site lists the same.

My cylinder has the following part number E7LB-11A127 AA

Also on the black plastic piece are 3 J D in circles.

On both the Ignition/Door key and the trunk key are a tiny letter "H" stamped into the side of the key.

Any help would be appreciated.

The only way to do it is to take the new cylinder to a locksmith with your old keys. This way he can match you new cylinder cut to your original door cut. One side of the key is for the ignition and the other is for the door. Only other option is an entire lock set. If that is even available anymore....

Well, I called up the Ford Dealer in North Long Beach and found out the deal. The car came with an aluminum tag on the key with the key code. In this case I think it was an A key. If your car is an A you have to get the A key cylinder otherwise the door part of the key won't work even if you cut it. I'll try to scan the instructions that came with the key.

I ended up getting the cylinder from the dealer, have installed it and started the car right up. I was a little worried that the Braille battery I'd installed had been drained by a bad switch position but I needn't have worried.

I replaced the ignition cylinder in my '90 a couple of years ago. I took to a locksmith the key that came with the cylinder, along with my old key. He had Ford key blanks on hand and cut a key with the new ignition pattern and the old door pattern. Took 20 minutes, worked like a charm. I think it was like, 15 bucks.

I replaced the ignition cylinder in my '90 a couple of years ago. I took to a locksmith the key that came with the cylinder, along with my old key. He had Ford key blanks on hand and cut a key with the new ignition pattern and the old door pattern. Took 20 minutes, worked like a charm. I think it was like, 15 bucks.

I ended up with the same deal. I took the old key and new key to the locksmith. The directions said that positions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 are for the ignition and 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are for the door. I was worried that if they just cut the back half of the key for the door it would mess something up but it worked out fine. My new ignition key opens the doors now. The locksmith made a test key to see if it worked and so I got my two keys cut and a new key for $6.00!

Back