mirror fix

ThunderDave

Is there something someone here use to reattach the rear view mirror to the windshield, other than the stuff made to do it. I have the worst luck using that stuff. Mirror fell Friday, it was extremely hot. I used the stuff this morning and it sat all day and when I put the mirror on and went to adjust it, it pops loose from the windshield. This is so annoying. Would super glue or something like that hold better?

Buy a mirror fix kit thing, ya know? It's best used when temperatures are "cooler". Get your metal piece set to the windshield, hold it for a minute like the instructions say, then let just that piece alone sit on the windshield for 24hr without the mirror attached to it...the extra weight will probably make it drop again. If all else fails, take it to a windshield repair shop, and they can hook it up for probably under 30 bucks.

Make sure your car sits in the shade when you glue the piece to the windshield also. I just glued one on a Tbird the other night in my garage .. sat for about 12 hours over night to the next day, attached the new mirror .. and it's been in the sun ever since, mirror is still there.

Clean it with the prep cloth .. wait about 2 minutes, clean the metal piece also .. then when it has dried, apply the glue and IMMEDIATELY, stick it to the window and hold it there with your hand for a good 30+ seconds .. not 15 like the instructions may call for.

- Dan

Get windshield replaced, the ones that come on the windshields are bonded using heat. that is the only sure way to make it stay put.

The key is to get both surfaces perfectly clean, I like to use brake cleaner. I have used epoxy with sucess before but I'd rather use the correct stuff if I had the choice

I installed it without the mirror attached. It was in shade, cloudy and been raining today. The package said it was ready in 15 minutes, so I figured 9 hours should be plenty of time, but no. Both surfaces were cleaned too, using alcohol. I'll try it one more time and see how that goes. At least I'm not having to worry about headlight reflection in my eyes. :rolleyes: :D

the last time i did mine.. the glue stuck so well it ripped the windshield out... and i mean it took the first inner layer out...

i need a new window so i have yet to put it on..

and now that i drive the car quite a bit, and i get into my sho.. its so annoying to have that mirror hanging in the way.....

I don't know the difference, but since the local glass shops charge $5 for reattaching the windshield (and the good kits are $3+ each!), I just take it to the glass shop and get it reattached.

Once per car this past five years.

RwP

I bet I've done five in the last 6 or 7 years and all but one has stayed attached. Just used the adhesive kits from parts stores and followed the directions to a T. As others have said: windshield needs to be free of any and everything (all the kits I used had a cleaner and a primer wipe), and you need to do it in a relatively cool area. I have always done it in the evening and let it sit overnight.

I used the regular Permatex kit from the parts store. It worked okay, meaning it held up for about 2 years. It finally gave up just a week or two ago, during our heat wave here in Philadelphia. If it had stayed cooler, maybe it would still be hanging on.

Even so, I would rather not run the risk of my mirror falling and breaking. If I knew of something that was guaranteed to last, I would go with that.

Both surfaces were cleaned too, using alcohol.
Alcohol leaves a residue which will interefere with the adhesive. Use brake parts cleaner (acetone) instead. I used the kit to remount the normal (no map lights built in) mirror on my 5 speed. Its worked just fine so far in Texas heat for 2+ years. :cool:

Alcohol leaves a residue which will interefere with the adhesive. Use brake parts cleaner (acetone) instead. I used the kit to remount the normal (no map lights built in) mirror on my 5 speed. Its worked just fine so far in Texas heat for 2+ years. :cool:

Mine has the map lights and sensor for auto high beams/low beams. Heavy @$$ mirror. I'll try it again Friday night after it cools off, so it can sit over night. Thanks for the replies and help.

When in dougt "Duck Tape"

Go thru the above steps.

Wait for setup on adhesive. Wrap paper towel around mirror and stripe with 2 bands of duck tape.

Towel will stop tape from sticking to mirror when pulling off and tape will support weight overnight to prevent adhesive from getting any air in at connection as mirror potentially sags from weight.

Sounds like a combination of adhesive getting brittle and air pockets expanding and contracting till it fails.

I've tried the kits a few times on different cars and never had them last for more than a few weeks or so. I always end up at a glass place, and they have never charged me yet to do it. If it ever happens again to me, I'm heading to the shop first, even if they charge me a bit...

Well, I tried it again and was able to attach the mirror for a short time, before hitting a bump in the road and it falling again. :mad: So now if it comes down, it's gonna take part of the windshield with it. JB Weld Quik doesn't fix it, then I give up. :eek:

Back