5Speed computer in Auto car?

HwyStar

What would happen if I used a 5 speed computer in a Auto car? I have a car I need to use, and I have a wreck for parts. Both cars are 1990. I have checked everything and narrowed it down to the computer. Anyone done this?

Since the 90 automatic cars had AOD's and they are strictly hydraulically controlled, I'm thinking it would be fine but the idle might be slow since its not anticipating the drag of the torque converter when idling in gear....But DD(XR7Dave) and Fraser(fturner) are the authorities on the computers................Dan

Yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking too. Since its hydraulic shift, and lock-up happens when 3rd is applied mechanicly. Also, I'd figure the manual leaver position switch on the trans would close the same circuit for the neutral safety as for the 5 speed.

i did a tranny swap once when i blew my 5speed, i used an auto until i got a new m5r2. its works just fine. use the search and you will find alot of what you need to know. but yes the Manuel EEC will work for an aod. and yes your idle will go a lil low but so long as your engine is in fair shape you'll be fine. if you have a stall you wont notice any difference. now this is assuming you have or atleast near stock engine.

Yeah, it did turn out that way. It seems to work great. I have never seen one of these computers go bad, a first for me. Only thing I found bad was a ground thats tied together at a point with the ignition shield wire broke away from the body, fixed that. All other grounds and hots good otherwise.

Back