cooling fan problem

slowpoke

i had the fan melt while using the a/c. i replaced the fan with a good fan and now it wont auto engage at 190 which is what i got it set at through my q-horse. im thinking the relay if there is 1 between the ircm and the fan might also be bad. heres the problem, if there is 1 i dont know where it is. can anyone help me out here. also if thats the case which wire number is it at the ircm that sends the signal to the relay? i have some beefcake relays i would rather use.

There is no external relay. The IRCM houses the relay for the fan and the computer controls it directly.

i have been able to locate all of those wires. the thing is none of them are sending any form of signal. thats why i assumed they work in conjuction with an external power source also considering the wires at the fan do not come from the ircm.

If you look at the diagram you can see all you need.
Pin 4 and 3 are battery power to the IRCM which is switched to Pin 1 & 2 for the low speed, and 6 and 7 for the high speed. (they split the load across two pins due to the current draw possible). The signal power to drive the relay comes in on Pin 14 for low speed.

The power wires for the fan low speed come out of the IRCM harness in a Brown wire with yellow stripe and are spliced (S177) into a single Brown Wire with yellow stripe. high speed wires are brown with an orange stripe.

The EEC-Iv drives the signals that go to the IRCM.

If you look at the diagram you can see all you need.
Pin 4 and 3 are battery power to the IRCM which is switched to Pin 1 & 2 for the low speed, and 6 and 7 for the high speed. (they split the load across two pins due to the current draw possible). The signal power to drive the relay comes in on Pin 14 for low speed.

The power wires for the fan low speed come out of the IRCM harness in a Brown wire with yellow stripe and are spliced (S177) into a single Brown Wire with yellow stripe. high speed wires are brown with an orange stripe.

The EEC-Iv drives the signals that go to the IRCM.

i found the problem, first of all your 100% correct mike. the continued issue was the main power supply wire at the starter relay behind the batt burnt away. it supplies power to the ircm cooling fan portion. that would explain why i didnt get any power out signal on 1or2. i should have this fixed within the hour. just have to check the wire for further damage. i might have to route a new 10g wire to the ircm.

Update, its all good. Thanks to the diagram and Mike confirming the 1&2 wires are power out i was able to track and fix the problem. The power cable was completely destroyed so i had to route a new 10gauge cable. This time(unlike Fords opps) its fuse linked with a 60amp fuse. I cant say how happy i am to have the eec controlling the fan at 190on 180off again. the last 2 days have been annoying operating that manually. :D

ps: thankfully i had a manual back up relay system in place as a (just incase system). :)

Back