swapping out 1st gear in M5R2?

91BLOWNBIRD

Did some searching on this and couldnt find anything relevant...

This is probably just any manual transmission ? but can the 1st gear in an early M5R2 be swapped out for a lower numerical gear?

I'm thinking instead of trying to find a late model M5R2 for a rediculous price that people want for them.

It has to mesh with the countershaft gear which cannot be changed without changing the complete countershaft.

imo if you have the money to do such, go t-56. a few people in the club have and they seem to love it.

thanks

thanks guys...thats basically what I was looking for...

if it costs a lot why not just got t-56 (roughly how much would a t-56 swap cost?)...

I was looking at gearing with my early M5R2 and I want 3.27s for 4th & 5th gear but that is too low for 1st...so people say get the late M5R2. I dont really want to spend money on a late M5R2, I'd rather save for a t-56...

I think in the meantime I am looking at doing 3.08s which is similar to a late M5R2 with 3.27s for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears...

Where is the best place to find 8.8 3.08s?

im sure others will chime in here, but the only car that i know of is the 92 sport t-bird. thats how i got mine. im running 3.27 atm but kept my 3.08 for a back up. if the dealer is willing to help im sure they can tell you what all cars had them. just make sure you get trac-loc and not a standard rear end. with only 1 tire spinning you'll never move.

im sure others will chime in here, but the only car that i know of is the 92 sport t-bird. thats how i got mine. im running 3.27 atm but kept my 3.08 for a back up. if the dealer is willing to help im sure they can tell you what all cars had them. just make sure you get trac-loc and not a standard rear end. with only 1 tire spinning you'll never move.

Cougar XR7's w/the 5.0 came with 3.08's also.

The Lincoln Mark VIII has an open rear but a 3.08 gear. Take the pumpkin and put in your trac-loc diff just don't try to put the 2.57 gear from the bird in because it won't fit. I have the 3.08 in my car now and, for me, it's a good balance between city and highway driving.

are those all 8.8 rear ends?

*amused*

From the factory, all V8s had 8.8 rears on the MN12s.

Turbocharged 3.8s got 8.8s also.

Regular 3.8s were standard 7.5, but could option the 8.8 - and the 8.8 came with some option packages.

(My amusement is thinking Ford shipped a 5.0L with a 7.5 rear end ... )

RwP

Sweetie's 1991 Cougar XR7 5.0L HO has 3.08 TrakLok on it, from the factory.

RwP

oh i forgot about those, they all had the same engine, and rear end as the 92 sport. not sure about the tranny. that was a good engine with some upper end work done. :)

Back