Seat belt issue

Gs93SC

I have a 93 SC with the automatic belts. The passenger side is showing a door ajar and a seat belt unfastened on the cluster, it also has an intermittent chime and the belt will not slide to the rear all the time. At the same time the interior lights turn on and off as the door opens and closes. I assume that the door switch is working due to the interior lights. Does this system use some sort of module to control the dash lights and belts? If so where are they located. Does any one have a wiring diagram that would show me the system. Thanks!

Last edited:
Check the harness under the passenger side front carpet...along the kick panel - I believe there was a recall about this for later years.

I looked at the wiring harness under the floor. All seem to be in good condition, not pinched or sitting in corrosion. If it is a harness that was recalled that doesn't explain why the interior lights still turn on and off when the door opens and closes. The switch is only a two wire switch so at some point the wire sending the signal must branch off one for lights and one for the belts? I did find that in the trunk on the drivers side there is a module that when unplugged stops the drivers side belt from functioning and under that is a plug with six wires two of witch are the same color as the door switch wires. I would really appreciate if someone has a factory wiring diagram for the seat belt system. Any feed back is appreciated as I am tired of listening to the chime as I drive.

My advise would be to start by hittin eBay, and purchase a 93 EVTM for your car. Usually, you can get one for around $10-$15. This is the factory book that shows all the wiring layouts as well as troubleshooting. There is also a Rotunda diagnostic kit for troubleshooting the autobelts. I think I bought mine from eBay for around $20. Much easier than randomly replacing parts or chasing wiring.

In the interim, you can unplug the chime module. It's on the RH side of the dash, behind the glove box. Just drop the glove box down and pull the plug. Incidentially, I had an issue with my white 89 where everything worked properly, but the chime would activate randomly. It sits most of the time, and one of the connections got slightly corroded. This is before I had the Rotunda diagnostic box. I started by unplugging and re-plugging the connections shown in the EVTM, and it corrected the problem. You might just go through the connections and make sure everything is clean. Just unplugging/re-plugging is often enough to take care of it.

JD

Back