2nd balancer break

pickel69

this is the 2nd time this has happened to my 90 sc was driving down the road and the car started back firing the first time i got sum answeres from people on here (thanx again to all that helped) the balancer broke and it was out of timing not even two months later i was driving and more back fire shut the car off right away checked for the balancer bolt and it wasnt there and the belt looks like the pulley has moved can anyone suggest why this has happened twice in this short time and any suggestions on where to get a new crank pulley

Last edited:
All my pulleys are used, but in good condition.....

Are you looking far a new balancer or the pulley that goes on the balancer....:confused:

I have a new balancer I will be checking this week if it broke again but should be under warrenty I think I need the pully my only idea is that the pulley is bent and causing the crank bolt to break unless u got any ideas that would help checking the pully is better then checking the crank sxo I figured change the pulley if it happens again I guess its the crank no one has givin me any ideas yet so this is what ie came up with

It was new I bought it a couple months ago on ebay so does any one no why this is happening is it crappy balancers or possibly bent crank pulley or crank I don't want to keep buying balancers there is mixed reviews on the bhj. Compared to stock from ford any ideas

It was new I bought it a couple months ago on ebay

Well thats problem number one right there.

so does any one no why this is happening is it crappy balancers or possibly bent crank pulley or crank

Now there may some replies from other members of this forum saying that they are still using a stock balancer and I say more power to them I but don't trust a part like that when it has a history of repeat failures like the stock balancer has.

Also, I would get the crank pulley checked by a good machine shop to ensure that it is straight and in balance if you plan to continue to use a stock type balancer.

I don't want to keep buying balancers there is mixed reviews on the bhj. Compared to stock from ford any ideas

To be truthful the biggest issue I have had with my BHJ was the initial install. The bolt holes for the pulley were not threaded all the way and the hub center had to be opened up a little so that it would fit on the crank, all these things can be fixed by a good machine shop. Other than that it has worked perfectly.

If you do decided to use a BHJ just remember that the crank pulley has to be zero balance.

ok i have heard of people buying balancers other than the bhj can any one recomend one that is as good as the bhj or that doesnt cost 400$

ok i have heard of people buying balancers other than the bhj can any one recomend one that is as good as the bhj or that doesnt cost 400$

As far as I know, you have 3 choices.

Stock Ford Part - around $170, pulley (and balance check) not included.
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...bird&year=1990&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

BHJ Balancer - around $360, pulley (and balance check) not included.
http://spinningwheels-sc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=32

Dorman part - around $230, pulley included, balance check not included.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1268603

I have fortunately not needed any of these parts so far. My opinion at this point is at follows:
Paying to get the balancing of balancer and pulley done by a machine shop may seem annoying, but it's pretty important. Even if a company guarantees that their balancer is zero-balanced, they haven't seen your pulley. So there is no guarantee that the assembly is zero-balanced.

In a perfect world, with sufficient cash in my wallet, I would get the BHJ damper. I might even go so far as to get an aluminum crank pulley to reduce rotating mass. Then I could go and get them balanced together. In reality, however, I don't have $800 to spend on this.

If I trusted Dorman quality, I would get their damper and pulley. But I don't. Their parts seem to work, but just long enough for you to sell the car. I have seen multiple parts with problems come out of that place. So I am happy to buy their window cranks, and spark plug wire clips. But I hesitate to buy their critical engine and suspension parts.

The Ford balancer has lasted 15 years for most people. If I could be guaranteed that it would last 15 years for $170, I would buy it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, I can't be sure that the quality of this part is equal to the quality of the part they installed on the car. (This can vary a lot in certain cases. The replacement doesn't have to live through a 3-year or longer warranty.) But even with that caveat, this is not a bad price at all.

Or, there is an option that is cheaper still. This business can rebuild your damper and provide a 3-year warranty for about $140. I would strongly consider this.
http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchan...Code=DD&Product_Code=FOR3.8&Category_Code=FOR

If I remem ber correctly you can't just buy the balancer from ford by itself. They come as a match set, balanced with the other part.... that I can't remember right now. I remember the 750.00 $ price for it though. It's best just to go with the JBH and forget ever having to think about it again. my 2 cents worth.

If I remem ber correctly you can't just buy the balancer from ford by itself. They come as a match set, balanced with the other part.... that I can't remember right now. I remember the 750.00 $ price for it though. It's best just to go with the JBH and forget ever having to think about it again. my 2 cents worth.

If the link I posted is correct, you can, and it's only $170. I have not tried to buy it yet, though. Maybe I will call tomorrow.

Back