Modified fog light setup..

tbirdsc35th

Just wondering from those of you who may have modified your foglight setup, is the bottom diagram sufficient with the stock fog lamps? I was wondering if the relay was actually needed or would the foglight switch hold up? I'd appreciate your inputs.

thanks.

ModifiedFog.gif

i and many others have done it that way.. but personally i would keep it least switched to the ignition switch.. or even keep it with Multi function (which i went back too) since you have a relay which is taking the load offthe head light switch and multifunction switch...

Thank you, I appreciate the input. I have also run across different state laws that make running fog lights alone illegal. Oh well. The main thing I wanted to do is as you say take the load off of the headlight and multifunction switch. I have already had to replace the headlight switch when the lights started going off at night.

Have a great weekend.

Could you elaborate on your findings regarding "I have also run across different state laws that make running fog lights alone illegal." Specifically what states and any reasons why?

I've heard that also, running just the fogs without headlights is a no no. If I remember right, 240s can run just the fogs:confused: ...anyone ...anyone

Update:

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

for B.C Canada

Last edited:
Hello, BT Motorsports.

Oregon was one that I came across.

http://www.odot.state.or.us/comm/news/2002021201.htm

Quote" According to Oregon law: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber. In addition, the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual states it is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see.
"

I didn't find anything for Oklahoma, not that there isn't any. I know some states are very strict and others are not. It just depends on the state, I suppose.

My best to all.

Back