Now hearing clicking from ABS Relay....

SouthGaSC

I need some advise please. Recently bought a 1989 SC with 101k miles. Noticed just recently that the red brake warning light with illuminate momentarily when the brake pedal is depressed but it immediately goes out in like 1 second (does not stay on). I have checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and it is full (near the neck). I have checked for loose connections but can't find anny. Has anyone ever had this happen or know what to look for? This is really driving me batty trying to figure this out!!!!!!

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
You are on your way to replacing your ABS unit or converting to conventional brakes.

Your accumulator is going bad and it will fail you here shortly.
When that happens your brake pedal will get rock hard and you will need to travel/limp home SLOWLY.

You MIGHT be able to get away with replacing JUST the accumulator ball but normally this is the first step to a dying ABS Unit.

Whoa there horsey!!

You are on your way to replacing your ABS unit or converting to conventional brakes.

Your accumulator is going bad and it will fail you here shortly.
When that happens your brake pedal will get rock hard and you will need to travel/limp home SLOWLY.

You MIGHT be able to get away with replacing JUST the accumulator ball but normally this is the first step to a dying ABS Unit.

Wow, talk about jumping the gun!! I know they are not the best ABS system in the world, but just because the light comes on then they hit the brakes does not mean they need to bend over and grab their ankles to buy a new ABS or switch to conventional.

First, since the fluid level is normal, there are probably no leaks, which is good. How does your pedal feel when you push it?

Something to try...turn the key on, wait about 10 seconds, and push the brake pedal down, at the same time, also watch for the brake light. If you push the pedal, and you hear the brake accumulator motor spin up, then most likely, your accumulator is bad. Even if you get a couple of pumps of the pedal before the pump motor kicks in, then the accumulator is probably still about 75% shot.

With the collective knowledge on this site, you we should be able to help you figure out what the problem is, even if it is the ABS unit itself, but, please, don't just worst case it. Sometimes, it can be the least expensive part that will fix your problem.

Phil

Didn't mean to jump the gun.
But from all the experiences I have read... the light doing that is the Accumulator going bad.

Before he gets any more help or info from others...

Read the whole page in the link below.
It will greatly increase your knowledge of these systems...

http://www.35thatr.org/Tips/ABS.htm

I'm with Phil on this one.....

It sounds like your accumulator is on its way out....

Try this: key off, pump brake pedal 10 - 15 times, turn key to run (do not start), listen for the brake pump motor running......

How long does it run before shutting off....

I'll bet the OEM accumulator is on the unit right now which would make it 21 years old.....

You can still drive the car, but be extra careful when braking.....

As the accumulator looses its nitrogen pressure, you will eventually see the amber ABS light come on along with the red brake light....

If this occurs, you should replace the accumulator ASAP.....

Yeah man!!

I'm with Phil on this one.....

It sounds like your accumulator is on its way out....

Try this: key off, pump brake pedal 10 - 15 times, turn key to run (do not start), listen for the brake pump motor running......

How long does it run before shutting off....

I'll bet the OEM accumulator is on the unit right now which would make it 21 years old.....

You can still drive the car, but be extra careful when braking.....

As the accumulator looses its nitrogen pressure, you will eventually see the amber ABS light come on along with the red brake light....

If this occurs, you should replace the accumulator ASAP.....

I had a 35th anniversary edition once where the accumulator was bad from the start, I mean fully gone! You could stand on the brake pedal and it would barely stop. Not a good feeling and braking required ALOT of forethought!

Go on Ebay and you will find plenty, or maybe the www.rockauto.com might have it. They will set you back about $150.00 or so, but compared to replacing the entire ABS unit @ $600.00 plus, the accumulator is a small price to pay to fix the system.

Do a search on the forums for Accumulator and I am sure you will find plenty of info and even part numbers to search for. Thankfully, we are not limited to just Tbird SC accumulators as the Teves Mark II system was used on many makes and model cars, even GM. I got one from a later Turbocoupe (88 model year) off Ebay for $35.00 and it worked perfectly. I don't expect it to work forever, being a year older than what was on my car, but for now, it works fine!!

Accumulator

how difficult is the accumulator to install? I mean I have done extensive repairs on vehicles and not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I didn't know if it would be pressurized when trying to remove it.

how difficult is the accumulator to install? I mean I have done extensive repairs on vehicles and not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I didn't know if it would be pressurized when trying to remove it.

You de-pressurize first, then it's not too bad. But removing the cowl panels makes it a lot easier.

Not hard...

Pretty much all you have to do is remove the driver's side plastic lower windows cowling, unhook any connectors on the intake plenum that may get in the way, and use a allen head wrench to break it loose. Once loose, it is very easy to spin it off. The tricky part is getting it out. With the windshield cowling loose, this should not be too hard. Install in the reverse order.

I just ordered a new accumulator for my 1990 SC. I ordered the AC Delco 25528382 part from amazon. I was told this accumulator works with our system, just maybe has a slightly smaller capacity which shouldn't be a problem.

Partial Fix

Well after much researching, I tried to clean the terminals on the ABS relay (seems like the white lithium grease or di-electric compound had turned to paste) the system appears much better. I have not yet had the hard pedal return (crossing fingers). However, today when I switched the ignition on to reset VMM, I noticed a clicking noise under the hood I hadn't heard before. I traced it down to the ABS relay clicking, then the pump tries to start, then the cycle repeats! All of this occurs within about a 2 second interval. This keeps on repeating. I had the switch on for about 10 minutes trying to isolate and source the problem. Anyone had this concern or similar problems?

Thanks
Rob

Back