PDA

View Full Version : Autocross Corvettes of MN

Mike8675309
08-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I spent the day at my first autocross. Can't think of a better way to spend $30. Got 7 laps of the track in (2 separate runs). The first run, I missed 3 gates on a straight section, but a timing error resulted in basically a re-run. The rerun took a right where I should have taken a left in one section. I got yelled at for going to fast for a newbie. so i slowed down on the next to runs and managed a 1.22 something (times will be coming in a couple days) and a 1.18 something.

In the next runs my first one was a 1.17 and my next run was a 1.16. My last run was an epic failure. I was trying too hard and came out of a long left hand sweeping corner with too much speed. Tried for a gate I had to cut left to hit since I took the corner wide and the car didn't like that cut. The rear got light and the next gate needed a right cut, and when I did that, it was all over. Went through that gate sideways, and trying to correct that had me going through the next gate backwards as the car spun and I ended up in the infield.

Overall a fun time. here is a video a friend took with his phone. didn't get a video of the spin.

The car only has lowered vogtland springs, and Koni shocks turned up firm all the way. The nitto 555 tires didn't pretty well, but couldn't keep me from basically doing a 4 wheel drift in the sweeping corner, and the front end pushing in the tight corners.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EG68I3JuiXA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EG68I3JuiXA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DrFishbone
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Fun times, Mike. I'm getting ready to take my SC to my first autocross event on the 15th. A bunch of Mustang SVO guys (my supervisor included) are going to have a mini-meet and wanted me to bring the SC.

Your mishaps should help my nervousness. :D Glad to did tear up the car or anything though! I'm going to try to bring some spectators...hopefully I won't embarass myself too much!

XR7Kurt
08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
The next time I go I'll definately make the first run with a just make it through attitude. I did the same thing as you my first time by trying to go too fast the first run. I felt like I knew the course but once you get out there at speed it can get confusing and the first run ends up getting wasted. Then the second run you end up doing like you should have done the first one. It's all fun though and I'm itching to get to another one.

Mike8675309
08-07-2010, 11:02 AM
The only thought I have is that for a first time, where you really can't expect to be competitive to start, it doesn't hurt to find some of the limits early. Otherwise I feel like you could be shying away from the limits too much.

I'm gonna run two more events. One I'll be able to have an instructor ride with me and hopefully give me some insights into how to handle some things. Then the last one will be the same group as this first time. I want to feel out the car more and from there maybe get some recommendations for modifications or adjustments to make (sway bar or alignment).

The nice thing for me is this is pretty cheap fun. Only $30 to run. And it's close , unlike a dragstrip (closest 1/8th mile is 100miles, it's only about 10 miles from my house.

ricardoa1
08-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Very nice, I love seeing some AutoX action. Its super fun.

I think the platform is handicapped by not being able to run large front tires. I think 275s up front will help in the plowing problem if using a street tire. I am not sure if the spindle or Upper CA will allow for 265 tires on regular offset wheels. I know 255 fit but I had to run a shorter tire.

Mike8675309
08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
If I buy some wheels and tires for autocross only, i'll get a wider front wheel as well and just live with an offset that pushes it out a bit. Not looking for style points on a race track, just functional.

Plus if I do that then I'll also have new sway bars and tweak the alignment a bit. Probably cut some weight as well... a/c's days may be numbered. Hope to get at least another year out of it. Then I'll transfer the condenser over to the 90.