Oil Pump Priming Tool

chaz87grand

How do I prime the oiling system on a 91 SC? Does someone manufacture a priming tool! Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is all my opinion:

Best method: Priming tool and power electric drill. Cycle pump for at least a minute. Have the ignition switch in the run position so that you can see the cage indicate oil pressure. (Optional: Connect a mechanical gauge (temporary) and ensure that you do get pressure.

Other method: Turn off fuel pump and unplug coil. Crank engine a few times at ten second intervals to help build oil pressure.

I prefer the first method because there is no mistaking that you have pressure when you hear the drill load up and the gauge reads pressure.

You should be able to get a priming tool from your local speed shop, most likely in a set. Don't waste your time with places like Advance Auto and Autozone they most likely will not have it and most of their employees will just give the look of stupidity.

Last edited:
If you hold the throttle to the floor while attempting to start, the computer will shut down the injectors and you can spin the engine without the engine firing.

I recently did this. You can either get an oil pump priming tool, make one from a piece of hex stock, or grab the oil pump drive shaft out of your cam synchro and use that. I used the drive shaft from the cam synchro, which just pulls out the bottom. (I had a spare synchro lying around, which made it even easier.) I didn't even use a power drill for it, just a speed wrench. I don't know exactly how much pressure it generated, but turning it by hand was enough to build up some resistance after several revolutions.

i like to pull the spark plugs too, when cranking the motor with the starter. to keep the compression force off the bearings. but yeah i just made my own tool from an allen wrench and 5/16 socket.

Some heavy duty chaulk guns have a hex shaft the right size and length to make a tool...that's what I used.

Back