Acceleration Issues...

SCchick3

Over the past few months of driving my car, its been really moody. I'm sure others have the issues of 'no go' when your car gets under a half tank of gas, but lately my car has had no balls until i hit 2000rpms. It will shudder like its starving for gas and then as soon as i mash on it, or get up to 2k rpms the supercharger kicks in and it goes, that is til i shift to the next gear...

About a month ago I was driving to work and thought i heard a semi coming up on me...looking around i saw nothing. Confused i got to work, popped my hood and revved up my car. Nothing. I made my boyfriend ride with me after work that day and as soon as i got about 5lbs of boost we heard the noise, sounds like a turbo. We sprayed starting fluid and waited for it to rev up. I narrowed it down to my upper IC tube and got it all tight with some new gasket.

Just recently, it still feels like its got no go...you think i should redo all my vacuum lines? Its got just over 160k miles on it....

Any help would be appreciated!!

to me no go is clogged cats fuel pump or filter or fuel pressure regulator and when my harmonic balancer spun i had no boost either

thanks
ralph

Changed my fuel filter not too long ago but i do agree it sounds like its a gas issue...fuel pump maybe, i hope not tho, isnt that inside the gas tank??

If your exhaust is the original, check the cats for flow. If they start to clog, a head gasket could be next due to high back pressure.
Fuel filter, fuel pump or fuel pressure reg. put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail and see what output is. Press is supposed to increase as boost increases (about 1 lb per lb of boost).
If it's all original.....replace it! A free flowing exhaust using hi flow cats and larger pipes will work wonders! Get rid of that puny ball/socket joint that joins the two halves, major restrictor!
Fuel pump chainge-out isn't all that hard. EMPTY tank as much as possible first. Upgrade the pump with higher output unit.
When I did my '93 new cats/pipes/mufflers and o2 sensors really made a diff in performance and emissions.
MikeH

If your exhaust is the original, check the cats for flow. If they start to clog, a head gasket could be next due to high back pressure.
Fuel filter, fuel pump or fuel pressure reg. put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail and see what output is. Press is supposed to increase as boost increases (about 1 lb per lb of boost).
If it's all original.....replace it! A free flowing exhaust using hi flow cats and larger pipes will work wonders! Get rid of that puny ball/socket joint that joins the two halves, major restrictor!
Fuel pump chainge-out isn't all that hard. EMPTY tank as much as possible first. Upgrade the pump with higher output unit.
When I did my '93 new cats/pipes/mufflers and o2 sensors really made a diff in performance and emissions.
MikeH

Exhaust isnt all completely original, but i think something was put on behind the cats soo i should have those checked..
As for the head gasket, i'm sure it could be going..hope not, but it could be lol I plan on getting my motor pulled this winter and replacing all the gaskets etc.
I do have a fuel pressure gauge, what should it be running at? I will most likely put that on my car within the next few mins...
Fuel pump would be a little difficult for me, considering this is my daily driver :/
thanks for the help!

Back