Ignition cuts out at idle...

phils89sc

I have posted on this before, but the problem persists. My 89 SC auto run great...off idle. But, especially after warming up, when sitting at idle, in or out of gear, very randomly, you can watch the tach (and feel/hear) the engine cut out, them immediately cut back on. If it happens while idling in gear, it almost cuts off totally, then catches and idles up a few hundred RPM, then goes back down. I have check KOEO, CONT MEM and KOER and only get a code 33 (EGR sensor failure, I am aware of this).

When I say it cuts out, I mean like someone killed the ignition module or cam sensor. It is not like a sputter, just like someone pulled the plug.

Any and all ideas / suggestions welcome.

thanks in advance.

if battery was unhooked recently it will take about 3 days till it learns to idle again where the tach goes up and down like you described . if it doesnt learn to idle check the memory fuse under the hood , some people like me blow the memory fuse installing a new radio . other than that im thinking fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator . or crank sensor . ive never had trouble with dis module . and i have 2 supercoupes 89 and 90 and put about 250k miles on one and 120k miles on the other . i bought a new dis module when i was having trouble with my car shutting off on hard left turns . then after the positive battery terminal melted off , i realized the battery was sliding and touching the hood killing everything , so i still have a good spare dis never needed

thanks
ralph

Last edited:
Never replaced it...

It could be the DIS module heating up.....

Have you ever replaced it.....

I have never replaced the module, but it has been replaced as it is not the original Motorcraft unit. None of this started till after I replaced timing cover, engine mounts, etc.

She runs great under boost, reaching about 10psi, not cutting out there of loss of power / stumbling.

Can you bring her over to the shop on Sunday.....

I'll be there working on one of my XR-7s.....

Back