PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting some horsepower mods done

mcate
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Done with cosmetic crap for now, time to get a few more ponies. Got my Steeda U/D pulleys in, & my tune from Brenspeed will hopefully be here tomorrow. One of the nice things about them is once you've paid for a tune, you won't have to pay for another one for any mods that you purchase from them. I'm planning on taking the car up to them (they're in northern Indiana) either this fall or next spring to have their cams installed. Gonna stay normally aspirated. Tune & pulleys should put me around 335 fwhp, cams should be 30 or so more, cat-deleting mid pipes should be worth 10 or so. I'd like to have it somewhere in the vicinity or 400 fwhp when all is said & done.

z90sc
08-06-2010, 01:23 AM
.......fwhp?What car are you doing this to?
z

nickleman60
08-06-2010, 05:28 AM
.......fwhp?What car are you doing this to?
z

I thought the same thing but I guess it's flywheel hp.........:rolleyes:

mcate
08-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I thought the same thing but I guess it's flywheel hp.........:rolleyes:

Yep, flywheel hp. Doing it to the black GT.

Roadhawg
08-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Yep, flywheel hp. Doing it to the black GT.

Why flywheel Hp?
Are you keeping the engine on an engine stand?

mcate
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Nah, just too lazy to subtract 17% or whatever it is!
Tune received today & downloaded. Car definitely pulls harder. Just seems to run smoother overall. It already had the Ford Racing 91 octane tune, so the new tune wasn't as huge a jump as if I'd gone from stock. Probably going to put the U/D pulleys in tomorrow. Can't wait to get the "Detroit Rocker" cams installed this fall or next spring.
I'll start quoting RWHP after I do a dyno pull. It'll never be anything real extravagant. You guys know me. I'm more about having the best shine vice the most horsepower. I can afford to make the shiniest car, but I can't really afford to make the most HP!

nickleman60
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
You guys know me. I'm more about having the best shine vice the most horsepower. I can afford to make the shiniest car, but I can't really afford to make the most HP!

Remember back when we would talk about our Supercoupes up at Jenros and you said "I'm not trying to have the fastest car just the fastest Supercoupe" well at least in these parts I can claim that....my small claim to fame around here....except no one knows what a Supercoupe is...............:confused:

mcate
08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Remember back when we would talk about our Supercoupes up at Jenros and you said "I'm not trying to have the fastest car just the fastest Supercoupe" well at least in these parts I can claim that....my small claim to fame around here....except no one knows what a Supercoupe is...............:confused:

Yep, remember that well! It'd be even worse here. I took that SC of mine to numerous shows & cruise-ins, & it never got a 2nd look from anyone. You've got something different from the norm. Fast AND different!

XR7 Dave
08-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Save your time and money on all that NA crap and just get a blower. I just tuned an Edelbrock kit on an 05 and Damn! The engine is bone stock with just a fuel pump upgrade, exhaust, and CAI and it put 450 to the wheels (less than 10psi) on a Mustang dyno - no "feel good" dyno here. The car is just sick. And looks hot under the hood too.

JMO. Do it right or furgedaboudit. lol

frdlvr30
08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
save your time and money on all that na crap and just get a blower. I just tuned an edelbrock kit on an 05 and damn! The engine is bone stock with just a fuel pump upgrade, exhaust, and cai and it put 450 to the wheels (less than 10psi) on a mustang dyno - no "feel good" dyno here. The car is just sick. And looks hot under the hood too.

Jmo. Do it right or furgedaboudit. Lol

x2............

mcate
08-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I've thought about all that & it makes perfect sense. But I'm not planning on ever racing the car, just shows & cruising. I want it to have a little more go than stock. Most of the blower setups I see are $5000 or so, & I've got no traction as it is. So I'd have to invest in bigger wheels & tires. More & more $$.

Roadhawg
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I've thought about all that & it makes perfect sense. But I'm not planning on ever racing the car, just shows & cruising. I want it to have a little more go than stock. Most of the blower setups I see are $5000 or so, & I've got no traction as it is. So I'd have to invest in bigger wheels & tires. More & more $$.

Hmmm........ better plan on getting spanked by Modded 2011 V6 Mustangs.

mcate
08-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, the more money I put into this car, the longer it'll be before I get myself that '69 or '70 Mach that I've wanted for years......

frdlvr30
08-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, the more money I put into this car, the longer it'll be before I get myself that '69 or '70 Mach that I've wanted for years......

Sell them both....They build them everyday. The price for the one you want is getting further out of reach everyday...

XR7 Dave
08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I just saw you mention putting cams in the motor and that just seems to me like a total waste of time and money.

mcate
08-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I just saw you mention putting cams in the motor and that just seems to me like a total waste of time and money.

No, not in my eyes. I'm making the car into what "I" want it to be, just like I did with my Super Coupe. I put a lot of performance mods on it & never took it down a strip. I'm a few years away from getting an old Mach 1. Need to pay some stuff down first. This new Mustang is a blast to drive, I just want to pick up a few more hp & have a nice, old fashioned lope at idle.

mcate
08-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Sell them both....They build them everyday. The price for the one you want is getting further out of reach everyday...

They've actually come down a little in recent years. The big blocks still bring top dollar, but fully restored 351's can be had for under $30k. I'd like to have the wife's Expedition paid off before I take out a big loan like that, & that's about 3 1/2 or 4 years away.