ECM's are they specific to year of car?

boltz

I am trying to help a friend who just purchased a S/C. Car is running worse and worse each day, now rich and no power. The H/B needs replacing it wobbles and more than likely his problem. The car is a 91 5 speed. Now if the ECM needs replacing does it need to be from another 91? We tried my spare for my 90 and nothing no start. I remember selling a 91 ECM I bought for my 90 because I later learned it was not compatable. Does this mean 89 and 90 are compatable and 91 to 93 are also compatable? Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

you should search to verify but..

I believe same are:
89-90
91-93[not all 93]
94-95
autos and manuals are different.

If the HB is wobbling stop running the car as disaster awaits. The bolt is probably already gone and if the HB comes off it won't be nice.

There is no use in troubleshooting anything until the big elephant in the room (your HB) is replaced.

If you are in Vancouver you should check us out at www.sccowc.com. Lots of local help available.

I agree. He has found a 93 5speed parts car, making arrangements to buy the balancer and pulley this weekend. The ecm may be compatable with his 91 5speed so he may be intersted in it as well.

If you are going to swap in the 93 5spd EEC into the 91, you will HAVE to notify the guy that is doing the tuning as the 91's (GSALC) used a different strategy than the 92-93 (GSALI) cars... the 2 strategies don't play well together.

But it is very rare that the EEC goes so don't bother swapping it until you have the other issues sorted.

Fraser

I have multiple eec's so once you fix the HB and sort out any other issues let me know and you can pick one up to test with.

Sean

Thanks Sean for your offer. My friend picked up another balancer today likely didn't get it installed now its raining. I'm not going to describe how someone bandaided the one that broke but prior to the balancer letting go the car did run smooth and I'm sure once this used one is installed all his problems will go away. If we need to swap out ECM then I will contact you. We are not far away, 128th and 72 ave. in Surrey

happy ending

Thank you all for your input. The balancer was his only problem. I did caution him not to expect to get much life out of the balancer maybe a year or so and to look into an aftermarket one if his intentions are to fix up the car. Sean if you are interested lets have coffee one day. I am probably only 15 min from you King Geo and 82nd. I have had mine since new, yes a rare one owner car, 90 5 speed. Again thanks.

Robin

Back