PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Decklid Group Buy (Possible)

Belisarius
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
One part will increase braking, handling and acceleration!

I've contacted a fiberglass company with the proposal that they build a fiberglass deck lid for the '89 to '95 SC. This part would be a bolt on replacement with all the hardware mounting points for hinges, lights, locks and so forth. The company says they need 15 orders in order to move forward with the plan, though I haven't contacted them yet to see if there's any flexibility in that number.

The company is not VFN but that company offers a hood for $400 so a deck lid should be in the same ball park.

Making your car weigh less adds to all aspects of performance including braking, acceleration and cornering.

Please post your interest including what maximum price you would be willing to pay for such a part.

Belisarius
08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
A lighter car stops faster, corners better, accelerates faster and gets better mileage. People are willing to spend $350 for a coolant overflow bottle but not a penny to lighten their cars? Hmm.

Let's get going people. There must be at least a few of you who have some interest in this project. Yes?

David

XR7 Dave
08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I have definite interest. However, with the way things are going, it would be next spring before I could commit any cash to the idea.

Kurt K
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
People are willing to spend $350 for a coolant overflow bottle but not a penny to lighten their cars? Hmm.

It's not just about the money. With a fiberglass trunk lid, you still have to finish and paint it--extra $$$ and time. The coolant tank just drops in.

That said, I might be interested, but it wouldn't be until next year.

SCrazy
08-10-2010, 09:51 AM
You could put me on the tentatively interested list as well.

mikedenton49
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
What weight reduction would be realized?

Kevin Leitem
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
i would definately get one

Mercutio
08-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Here I am. Of course I'm interested. I'm going to tentatively say I'd spend no more than $500. I can even supply a decklid that they can use/keep/destroy if necessary in case they can't find one locally.

VicRattlehead
08-14-2010, 01:05 PM
what company??

did you contact VFN at all? what did they say?

there are about 3 places that id be ok sending money to, and a huge ~~~ list that will never EVER see any of my money.

Belisarius
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I contacted Hairyglass and VFN. Of the two VFN had the best response.

I sent them pictures of my trunk lid and they replied they could do the job with a sample lid to make the mold. They would need between 8-10 people to make deposits of $50-$100. The mentioned the mold costs them between $2,000 and $5,000. They didn't quote a final price though I assume they would have a better idea if they had the trunk lid in hand. Based on the cost of the mold I'd say the low end would probably be in the $500 ballpark though that's just wild speculation on my part.

The soft interest is good to note but even with that we would still need at least ten to get this even started. I'm sure there are people out there interested so post your interest.

ganuolfthegrey
08-24-2010, 06:04 PM
i would like to see that one done. the stock trunk lid is pretty heavy.

TinManSC92
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Wouldn't replacing the hood be a lot more in weight reduction! Or how about the whole front clip for that matter. I guess I just didn't realise the trunk lids were that heavy. And do you think the reduction in weight will be worth the aggrevation of painting and re-installing/ alligning another one.

TinManSC92
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
interested though.

Belisarius
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Of course doing both would be better but VFN already has several hoods that will fit our cars. For those that like handling if you replace both the hood and the trunk with fiberglass, the car will both weigh less and have a lower polar moment of inertia. Roughly translated it will turn better because less weight is out at the ends of the car and more weight is between the wheels. I don't have a sunroof but that would likely be a relatively easy part to make in fiberglass.

For the crazy ones out there - Mercutio... nudge, nudge, wink, wink - they did say they could make the part in carbon fiber. I didn't ask about price on that one.

Belisarius
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
So far we have 8 definite maybes. It would be nice to see five or six more maybes before going to the next step. I know I'm going to be getting my whole car painted at some point and I'd like to have these fiberglass parts lined up for when that happens. My own interest is pending another project as well so there's no rush. Even so please put down your interest if you haven't done so already and thanks for reading.

91BLOWNBIRD
08-25-2010, 02:06 AM
I am interested but there is no way I can afford it right now...way too many other parts to buy...like a hood first $650+ :(