Wrecked SC/Thunderbirds

SouthGaSC

I was just wondering about the safety and structural integrity of the t-birds. I see many going to boneyards to be dismantled, but I have hardly ever seen any pics or otherwise after an accident. Do these bodies survive impacts well? Is the structural integrity compromised after collisions? I would really like to see photos of some of the cars post accident (not meant to be morbid). I work in the collision industry and don't recall many t-bird collision repairs. This just strikes me as being odd.
Do any of you have any photos, memories, or stories to share here?

Thanks
Rob

In all the junk yards that I've been to, I've seen a few t-birds that have extensive front end damage (tree / back of another vehicle).....

Wynn (Tbird88) had some pictures of some wrecked SCs that were pretty bad (sideways into telephone pole / tree).....

These days the value on most MN12s is so low that most insurance companies will choose to total the car rather than repair it.

With that said, I've seen some pictures of T-birds that have been in minor and major wrecks. Without seeing the accident, though, it's tough to tell whether the car did any better or worse than another model might have.

Testimonial of strength....

I was just wondering about the safety and structural integrity of the t-birds. I see many going to boneyards to be dismantled, but I have hardly ever seen any pics or otherwise after an accident. Do these bodies survive impacts well? Is the structural integrity compromised after collisions? I would really like to see photos of some of the cars post accident (not meant to be morbid). I work in the collision industry and don't recall many t-bird collision repairs. This just strikes me as being odd.
Do any of you have any photos, memories, or stories to share here?

Thanks
Rob

Back in 1995, I owned a 1992 Thunderbird LX while I lived in Chesapeake, VA. I was traveling down I-64 from work one day and was cresting a hill while looking over my shoulder to change lanes. There was no traffic prior to the hill, but when I turned my head back around and there was a Chevy Astrovan directly in front of me in my lane. I was going about 55mph when I nailed the brakes. The brakes didn't even slow me down, but lowered the nose just enough to let my car dip under the rear bumper of the van. To make a long story short, I picked up the van and spun it around just over 180 degrees, and I kept going for about another 100 feet or so.. After the car came to a stop, after collecting myself and coming to terms with what just happened, I was able to open the door, get out of the car, and walk away! The car, which could have been repaired, but due to the age of the car at the time, the insurance company decided no to. I was not harmed at all.

So, as for the strength of the MN12, I can say it is awesome. Yes, my car was totalled. However, the only thing hurt was my pride.

Last edited:
Can't say how this one received the damage in the photos - looks like maybe the roof was yanked up and the driver's door pried out at the handle/latch afterwards to assist in driver extraction, but that's just speculation on my part.

Ford does a pretty good job of crash design. The MN12 looks to take one for the team when it comes to protecting occupants.

Of course, seat belts/airbags play a big part...

And as Mercutio pointed out, even with the current state of automotive body repair being as high as it is, the MN12 seems to see the yard by insurance companies rather than be put back into service. The same yard where the silver one sits has an '89 that was rear ended and folded up to the back of the rear seats and an XR7 that was mildly hit behind the drivers door, down low. It wouldn't be that hard to put together a photo album from just this one yard. I don't recall seeing any panels cut away for repairs on other cars, but of course the bolt-ons (front fenders, hood, trunk, plastics) are picked off regularly.

Attachments

• 06-26-10_1441.jpg
    06-26-10_1441.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 757
  • 06-26-10_1442.jpg
    06-26-10_1442.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 06-26-10_1443.jpg
    06-26-10_1443.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 06-26-10_1444.jpg
    06-26-10_1444.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Back in 1995, I owned a 1992 Thunderbird LX while I lived in Chesapeake, VA. I was traveling down I-64 from work one day and was cresting a hill while looking over my shoulder to change lanes. There was no traffic prior to the hill, but when I turned my head back around and there was a Chevy Astrova directly in front of me in my lane. I was going about 55mph when I nailed the brakes. The brakes didn't even slow me down, but lowered the nose just enough to let my car dip under the rear bumper of the van. To make a long story short, I picked up the van and spun it around just over 180 degrees, and I kept going for about another 100 feet or so.. After the car came to a stop, after collecting myself and coming to terms with what just happened, I was able to open the door, get out of the car, and walk away! The car, which could have been repaired, but due to the age of the car at the time, the insurance company decided no to. I was not harmed at all.

So, as for the strength of the MN12, I can say it is awesome. Yes, my car was totalled. However, the only thing hurt was my pride.

Good story!!! Can happen to anyone at any time really. Glad you walked away....

95mark.jpg

Its my mothers old Lincoln ( same chassis, just a little LONGER which I believe provides more crush zone ) .. she lost it on a rainy day and went sideways into a Fire Hydrant .. good thing nobody was in the passenger side.

These cars are great for front and rear impacts .. cant say the same for Side impact .. it doesnt take much to tweak the whole body of the car.

- Dan

I have no pictures, and it was a few years ago...

But i was strolling through an wrecker here, and came up to a '94/5 Cougar got to the front and it hit something (or something hit it?). it was a pretty much `head on' (as if the car hit a wall) hit that was hard enough that when you squatted down to look it it You can see the CAM GEARS for the Cam shafts (it was a 4.6L car) the condenser/rad was squished away, not much left of the header panel, ect, bumper.. Windshield was smashed, roof was winkled, Dash pushed back a bit.. But with force the doors could be opened:eek:

I have yet to get into that serious of a accident yet with one of mine (knock on wood)

Rear end impact from a large sedan (I think it was a Buick) traveling at approx. 45mph......

RedSC1.JPG

RedSC2.JPG

Not sure what happened to these, but they took some pretty serious hits! :eek:

1994_White_MK8.JPG

Blue_Thunderbird_Side1.JPG

Blue_Thunderbird_Side2.JPG

Thomas

hits

wow! those last few took some serious hits!!
I am impressed from what I have seen thus far with the passenger compartment staying intact (for the most part). The rear end impact on the red SC took a hard hit and just look at it, it is really almost still drivable. I see cars everyday coming in for damage estimates and the slightest rear/front impact renders their vehicle not-drivable! This is truly a testimonial to ford engineering safety. I also own an S70 Volvo and it too (a division of Ford) has tremendous safety built into the cabin via its crush zones!

I smacked one of my SCs head on into a brick wall at 35 mph....:eek:

Don't ask why.....:rolleyes:

Alcohol was involved.....:eek:

Other than a scuffed bumper cover everything else was fine....

It would have done a lot more damage if I had hit at a 45 degree angle.....

My 96 Cougar can rear-end by a truck and me and my buddy got out no problems totalled the truck and I was just shy by $200. Spent 3month in the body shop.

Bad One

Here's a few photos that some of you may have seen awhile ago. Apparently, it hit the transit bus at a high, high rate of speed; didn't fare too well. I read that both occupants were killed instantly.

Attachments

• 34595437.jpg
    34595437.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 705
  • 34595442.jpg
    34595442.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 893
  • 34595444.jpg
    34595444.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 798
  • 34595450.jpg
    34595450.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 789
Here's a few photos that some of you may have seen awhile ago. Apparently, it hit the transit bus at a high, high rate of speed; didn't fare too well. I read that both occupants were killed instantly.

if it wasn't for the wheels you wouldn't know what it was.

>same chassis, just a little LONGER which I believe provides more crush zone

And more weight to deal with in the process - sounds like a wash :)

Back