quarterhorse problems

scxr7

Hey guys, I'm very happy to announce that my cougar project is DONE! (as far as the drivetrain goes). after buttoning everything up and running it for 15-20 mins. I decided to give my quarterhorse a try.

I removed the diablo chip and installed the QH. it went in fine, didn't need to bend anything out of the way. I have the 1.6 version by the way. Got my laptop to recognise the QH device. opened Binary Editor, got the registration done and out of the way. plugged my QH in, loaded on a stock RCX5.bin file along with a CDAN4.XLS strategy.

I left the RCX5.bin alone, other than changing my injector slopes and breakpoint. oh yeah, I changed the manifold volume to 33 liters instead of the stock N/A 6 liters.

I crank it over, and it wont fire up. Its pouring fuel into the cylinders to the point where fuel is coming out of my tail pipes.

I changed the start up tables to about half of what the original values were along with changing my injector slopes to 100high and 110 low. This helped a LITTLE, I got an occasional 'burp' from one of the cylinders firing. I held the throttle Wide open to cut the injectors off from firing. But that just made the flooding worse.

I removed the quarterhorse and installed the diablo chip, turned the key and it fired up after about 5 seconds of cranking(needed to get the excess fuel out).

so I'm confident saying that the quarterhorse is the issue. actually, I believe the way I have my quarterhorse setup is incorrect. All I did was hook the QH up to my laptop, load the RCX5.bin onto it and thats about it.

Oh yes, another thing to note. I can't datalog anything, Nothing moves on the dashboard view #1 or #2. the only thing that shows up when I view the dashboard is the RPM and its showing 16 thousand rpm.

when I click the 'hardware' button there is a box that says "checksum" with hexidecimal letters in 2 columns. one says "starting" one says "ending" along with "bank 0, bank 1, bank 8, bank 9". only banks 1 and 8 are available for me to change, banks 0 and 9 are greyed out. underneath those columns is a box that says 'store checksum at pid' ROM_TO.

Like I said, I believe my issue is incorrect initial setup. I'm using the free version of CDAN4. its an XLS file. Most guys say the pay version is corrupt and the XLS works better. So if you could check out the XLS and see if it can work with my setup? rcx5.bin seems to be pretty barren as far as changing the values goes. it doesn't have all the options that some other BINs have. any help is appreciated. I'll be searching on the eectuning forums for help too. thanks

the manifold volume was the problem, leave it at 6 or change it to 4 if you want, 33 is a big no-no

I recommend you don't go changing stuff if your not sure what it does

please don't be insulting. I changed the manifold volume to 33 liters because the stock supercoupe volume is something like 19 liters. also, the manifold volume has to do with delay in the maf readings correct? if I have 33 liters of air to process before I even get back to the maf then the ecu needs to adjust accordingly for the 'delay'. like I said, I chose 33 liters because stock sc is 19 and I have a very very large fmic and a lengthy fmic piping setup.

decipha, you're pretty much the go-to-guy for tuning. Do you think I didn't properly set up my quarterhorse from the get go? do I have binary editor set up for the wrong banks?

Should I state what mods I've done? to put it very basically. Its a 96 cougar with a 97 tbird ecu. forged motor with a cam and big valve heads with an overdriven mpx.

I didn't mean to be insulting, if that's the way you interpreted it I sincerely apologize, my intentions were not to belittle you in any manor. I was simply implying that changing certain scalars can cause undesirable engine operation which may if prolonged lead to engine failure.

the manifold volume scalar is part of the accelerator pump logic but it also manipulates the maf transfer so pretty much if you dialed your tune in perfect then changed that one scalar with all else being the same, you would need to retune it all over again.

lower values increase pump shot on tip in, higher decreases.

sometime around 93-94 Henry got rid of accel enrichment which is based off positive movement of the tps, when they did that they incorporated this scalar in there and based most of enrichment off of transients which is load based which is more logical and accurate.

cdan4 is a 2-bank strategy so be sure you have the config for the qh set right, and i hope your using the cry file from Derek Fenwick, he goes by the name 'sailorbob' if not you may figure out just how incomplete and inaccurate the free def is, also Adam Mariner "popsracing" has a cry def for sale as well

yes a mod list would be a good start ;)

........also Adam Mariner "popsracing" has a cry def for sale as well...........................

Now THATS is just WAY too funny.....

That same guy chewed me out because I had no right what so ever for charging for definition files and that they should ALL be free....

My, how the world turns :rolleyes:.

Fraser

oops.. just realised that I had the quarterhorse configured on mode zero, instead of mode 3. mode zero turns off the quarterhorse in a way. so, that might be why its flooding out, and all of my changes weren't doing any good.

by the way, how big of a difference is there between the CRY and the XLS file? I realise the XLS is very limited and incorrect, is the cry any better?

I didn't mean to be insulting, if that's the way you interpreted it I sincerely apologize, my intentions were not to belittle you in any manor. I was simply implying that changing certain scalars can cause undesirable engine operation which may if prolonged lead to engine failure.
)
no worries.

engine mods are pretty basic. i'll list the mods that will only affect the way the engine runs on a stock sc tune.

lower compression forged pistons with forged rods. p&p heads,intake,exhaust manifolds. 1.94 intake and 1.65 exhaust valves. 1.73 RR's. 520 lift cam with 218/220 duration. 3.5" return plenum, 3" fmic piping, 4.25x32x12" IC, mpx overdriven around 15% for now. 75mm TB, 60lb injectors, 255 pump, vac/boost refference fpr, stock maf, no cats.

Thats pretty much the jist of it. oh yes, fwiw a 3" front mount top hat too. but that probably doesn't do anything.

oops.. just realised that I had the quarterhorse configured on mode zero, instead of mode 3. mode zero turns off the quarterhorse in a way. so, that might be why its flooding out, and all of my changes weren't doing any good.

by the way, how big of a difference is there between the CRY and the XLS file? I realise the XLS is very limited and incorrect, is the cry any better?

The XLS file is the one that anyone can edit and make changes to if you have excel.... not the best idea since anyone and their dog can make changes, or mislabel stuff and you end up with 100's of versions out there.

The cry file is an encrypted file that only the owner of the definition can make changes. A LOT safer that way because stuff doesn't get mislabelled etc, and there is only one version of the file out there so to speak. I've encrypted the sc definitions for this reason since I found the GUFx stuff and others have PID's that are mislabeled etc, and I don't want the SC ones "fixed" back to those.

Its optional if the person who has the cry file charges or not.

Fraser

I didn't know you could download the .cry file and look around before you buy it, this cdan.cry file is 1000% different than the XLS. I liked it better with the xls because it was so basic and un-finished. now with the cry I don't know what I'm looking at. there are so many pids and tables. lol. Thanks for your replies about getting the cry. I'll give it a shot and see if I cant get my engine to run with this strategy instead of the other. :)

just a little update about cdan4 free xls for BE

i just recently found a bunch of bad addressing errors and faulty memory locations most notably for the sarchg and the injector low slope

rev14 is on EA's website now, eecanalyzer.net

Back