PDA

View Full Version : The Right To Repair Act..

Bird of Prey 94
08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Is anyone aware of this new Act that is currently being discussed in Congress now?

I believe it will have an impact on us enthusiasts and hobbyists that like to work on our own cars.

You might want to Google “EFF Right to Repair Act” as I am interested in hearing other thoughts.

txsc
08-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Retracted; had topic confused with another. Revised response below.

JD

XR7 Dave
08-08-2010, 06:39 PM
No surprise our liberties are being chisled away one at a time by this group in charge. They'll get around to all of us eventually, if they aren't stopped.

What are you talking about? I guess I don't understand. The "Right to Repair Act" is intended to prevent dealers from "locking out" independent mechanics from being able to access vehicle databus and computer systems. I'm not sure I follow how this is an attack on our liberties, but I'm all ears.

Pablo94SC
08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
As many are prone to do in today's world of blogs and sensationalized/biased media, you are jumping to conclusions and spreading misinformation based on something that's been taken out of context. This is a little closer to the truth about the bill...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorial-why-the-so-called-%E2%80%9Cright-to-repair%E2%80%9D-legislation-is-unnecessary

txsc
08-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Sorry, I had this confused with another automotive-related issue. There's alot to try and keep up with, legislation-wise. Should have read the links first.

After a quick glance through this issue with the links provided, it looks like an argument between intellectual property rights, and marketplace competition. Both are positions that I am in favor of. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

JD