Bad window motor?

Red '89 SC

Driver's side window motor turns, but it won't close/open the window without help. Took the window motor out (the original on a '89 SC), and saw blue cra* inside it. Installed a new window motor, runs fine.

Question: see pics. Kind of hard to see, but there was blue gunk all over the place. Is the original motor toast or worth saving?

BTW: thanks to all who posted the how-to...local garage wanted to charge me $107 for the part, $143 for the labor. Bought a new window motor from NAPA for $40, took me 45min to do the job.

Attachments

• DSC01089v2.JPG
    DSC01089v2.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01090v2.JPG
    DSC01090v2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 201
If the blue stuff is solid, that's the remains of the plastic plugs used to hold things tight. If it's like grease, that is just the factory grease. For the most part, the motor is probably tired, so you could use it as a spare in a pinch as is, or you could pull it apart and put new brushes in the motor and have it be as good as new.

Better than tired - the plastic bushings have fragmented.

There's several replacements - 7/16" ball bearings (not highly recommended due to loosing the mechanical break point in case someone's arm is stuck in the window), the 7.99 or so plug kit from the HELP! line, etc.

Remove the C clip, pull the metal gear, clean all the crap out, use some lithium grease to lubricate it, and put the plugs / ball bearings / 1/4" nuts / whatever back in to transfer the torque from the motor to the metal shaft.

Problem solved, and you've got a spare for later!

RwP

Besides the nylon plugs, be sure to check the shaft in the center - if it wobbles, you might be able to restake it and get a bit more use, but it still points to a well used unit. Pull the plugs and center cam/gear, clean out the cavity and see if that post moves.

Yard charges nearly USD$16 now for take-offs...I've had no trouble finding serviceable units there and have two good spares now.

Autozone wants $7.50 for the plugs I believe.

Back