Tranny mount......

MikeM

Can someone please tell me all the symptoms of a worn out tranny mount?

Heres what my car does:

1) Tough to get into 2nd and 4th sometimes, I have to wiggle the shifter around to get it in. I don't suspect the sychro's because even when I have ti fight to get it into gear, it never grinds and never has.

2) At around 2000 RPM the car starts to vibrate (this could be spark plug related, not sure yet)

3) When i tromp on the throttle in 1st gear, the shifter almost jumps out of the center console. I suspect that the shifter should move somewhat, but not as much as it does.

Does that sound like tranny mount? Can I visually inspect it? I have also had the tranny out and in 2 or 3 times on the same mount.

Thanx

-Mike

It sounds more like your motor mounts are gone because its hard to get that much movement from the tranny mount alone. But the tranny mount is easy to change. I went to solid when I changed mine. Good luck

yes...sounds like the movement would be due to bad motor mounts....check the treads here....I think one is more prone than the other...can't remember...it's a bear of a job either way.

As far as I know you can't see much....or at least it's not as obvious as on cars I'm used to seeing dried out or completely messed up. On these cars the torque must simply beat them up.

the motor mounts have less than 5000 on them. I replaced them with solid ones when I replced the engine.

the tranny mount is about $40....and it's easy to put in so you could just go and do it.

I'm interested though in the motor mounts now....what's the difference between stock and the solid ones you have. I've also heard that some ford v6s (taurus?) have hydralic ones that might work on this.

The solid ones last a lot longer. They can handle much more punishment and HP than the fluid filled stock ones.

There is a place near me that sells solid for a great price....$20 each I think.

Back