Could engine be running all summer w/ no coolant?

CKSC

SO I looked at my radiator the other day and I think that it is cracked. There is no coolant in the system and when I put some in, there was some steam coming from under the intake. I think I have blown the gaskets again. But why does the car run normally? Its not losing oil and it seems to run fine, even in the hot Tennessee heat, without coolant. I had a rebuilt engine put in it about 2 years ago. I think that this is the end of the road for me and my SC. If I have blown the head gaskets again I'm done.

well

Don't give up there just might be something that you are mission when doing the headgaskets if you have done them 2 times now.

first did you have the head surface decked for flatness.

Second did you use new head bolts when the job was done.

Third before I go one did you acually do this yourself or did you have a mechanic do it. There are some that can't be trusted because they are into the money instead of quality.

It does depend on how you drive the car if you are racing it .No way could it not over heat with no coolent. There is still going to be some in the block. It might just leak to a point but still keep some in there. I have seen many people drive there cars and have no problems with it being this way. Mainly depends on how you drive.

If there is less coolent in there then it has more room for the pressure or it the pressure just leaks out with some heat.

let us know what all was done when you had the head gaskets done.

Raymond

Your leak does not sound bad..SOOOO... try this.

Go to your loc. Napa auto parts store and get a can of K / W rad. and block sealer. This comes in a orange and silver can.
Follow the Dirctions to the letter! After about 30 min of running the vec. with this stuff in it your leak WILL BE GONE!!!!!!

We did a test with this stuff in three different cars with blown head gaskets(in bad shape). Two to three mins. and the cars where purring like kittins and NO LEAKS.
K/W costs about 10.00 a can,BUT will worth the money over pulling the heads or selling the car for a reduced price.

BTW two of the cars that we tested are still running and been for the last two years. The 3 rd had a piece of the head gasket missing and was to big to seal.

Hope this gives you a option...good luck!
Kurt Sr

OUCH!!!

Having been bitten by the HG monster myself early this year, I know how painful it is!

If you're just looking to get the car running as a short term solution, then I could see going the route suggested by Kurt Sr., but I don't think it's a good idea in the long term. Most of those 'stop leak' additives don't only block the source of the leak but they often times plug up the rad and heater core somewhat also. Some are worse for this than others. Also, when the HG's usually go, it's because the fire ring has failed, and then combustion bleeds through to a water passage between the head and cylinder block mating surface. Often, part of the fire ring gets sucked into the cylinder opening. This can also lead to the piston coming up and contacting the fire ring. Usually this will only leave a 'highlight' on the top of the piston, but in cases where the piston to valve clearances have been decreased (1.8:1 roller rockers, extremely milled heads, etc.), this can make the difference causing a valve stem or pushrod to get bent slightly.

If you plan to keep the car long-term, then I suggest you start looking at fixing the problem properly.

Also, it is possible that the leak in the rad was the direct result of the head gaskets blowing. The rad could already have been weak from age, and the added pressure from combustion or compression being bled into the cooling system may have been enough to rupture it. You probably should take a good long look at the whole system to see the full extent of the damage.

Oh, and if you find that the oil has become contaminated with coolant, then you need to consider that the camshaft and crankshaft bearings might be on the way out too. Glycol and bearings don't get along too well!

I hope everything works out for you.

Best regards,

Sean

Back