PDA

View Full Version : have you had problems with NEW upper door seals?

Larry Whitaker
08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I recently bought new upper door seals for my 91 XR7. (from supercoupe performance) They seem a little different from the originals. Thicker at top. Too thick. There's a wide gap between the felt covered (outside) part and the next section behind it (inside) that attaches to the car. Very different from the original. It's so thick that the door doesn't close as much as before and now I have MORE wind noise. Because of the thicker upper seal, I don't think there's contact with the inner seal now. I'm really disappointed. I was so looking forward to having these seals on the car and now I'm a little bummed out.

Possibly this seal will compress over time and work better, but I doubt it.

Possibly there is more than one type of upper seal and I got the wrong one???

What do you think?

has anyone here ever put brand new upper door seals on their car? Did you have a similar experience?
This is the seal I bought, the one that's too thick.
http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=735

and here's the one it doesn't match up with
http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=736

I haven't yet talked to supercoupe performance about this. I called, but he's out of town until the 18th, so I thought I'd try here.

I retrieved the old seal from the trash in case I have to put it back on.

the-big-e
08-13-2010, 11:31 PM
When your door is closed, is it flush with the rest of the body......

You might have to adjust the door striker to get the door to seal better....

qc89SC
08-14-2010, 01:26 AM
i had the same issue when rebuilding my lower hinge those door are not easy to adjust!!! never tried to adjust it back since the door close real well...

evil1
08-14-2010, 10:05 AM
After market weather seals are never the same as OE. I have replaced lot's on all kinds of cars and never been happy with fit and quality. I will guess that the doors are hard to close and are binding at the A pillar. You can wipe down the gaskets with baby oil, the oil will make the gaskets soften and will also keep them supple. If the doors are fitting and hinges are not worn out there is no need to adjust them. to check the upper hinge open the door about 1 foot grab the bottom back of the door and lift, if there is movement the hinge is bad and needs replacement. Try the baby oil it works! I use it on all the weather seals on my cars and they will last years to come. Just like your engine needs oil and your paint needs wax, your weather seals need love too. If you keep them oiled they will last a very long time.

Larry Whitaker
08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
When your door is closed, is it flush with the rest of the body......

You might have to adjust the door striker to get the door to seal better....

It was not flush with the rest of the body. The new upper seal caused it to become that way. It had been fine before. I thought I was screwed.

I did not stop to think that it could be readjusted to compensate for the thicker new seal.

After reading your post, from just looking at the door striker, I thought it was not adjustable. It seemed to be permanent. I loosened it some and of course discovered (as you already knew) that it is adjustable.

I set it back a little, but it was too far. On the next try the door closed exactly flush with the body, at least at the side, maybe not the top where the problem started.

Anyway, I took it for a short drive on the highway. About 1 mile to the first exit. The wind noise has been cut down a lot with the change. I did not drive it very far, but it seems like I'm going to be happy with it now.
You'd think that "exact replacement" seals would be exactly the same and there would be no need to move the striker.

Thank you for your help big-e. You made my day.

Would still like to hear more about this if anyone else bought new upper seals. Did your door have to be adjusted too?

The only problem with the quiet door is that now I can hear the sunroof noise. That has a new seal too. I need to get off my lazy butt and adjust it correctly. Tried a few times already, but can't get it just right yet.