Anyone ever run E85 in their SC's?

phils89sc

I passed by an Exxon station on the way home and saw for the first time that they had just started serving E85 gas. I have seen conversions for Mustangs, could that same principle be applied to our SC's? I think the conversion involved larger injectors, fuel pump and tune. What do you all think?

Might have to change some fuel line over to e85 compatible stuff and o rings designed for e85 but I would think that would be it. O and not every where has the same standard for "e85" some times its e90 or even e70 it all depends on what your state regulations are for e85. witch makes it hard to tune for.

Last edited:
I am currently running e85. The tune requires fairly significant adjustments as the stock setup in the computer won't be able to adapt sufficiently. The fuel system in our cars is compatible with e85 so no changing of o-rings or lines is necessary.

I am currently running e85. The tune requires fairly significant adjustments as the stock setup in the computer won't be able to adapt sufficiently. The fuel system in our cars is compatible with e85 so no changing of o-rings or lines is necessary.

That is good to know. Leav it to ford to have us covered! how long you ben running e85?

curious what kinda gas mileage are you getting I can run it in my truck but the mileage is worse so you have to figure it out in some cases its cheaper to run regular gas depending on the price of e85

I get 16 on 89 and I think its rated at 12 with e85

Fuel economy is not something I considered when switching. One of the slight benefits of my slightly higher compression ratio though is that the hit I take on economy should not be as much as a stock supercoupe.

Regardless, switching to E85 , just like those that are stuck with E10, will see a decrease in overall fuel economy. Depending on the subsidies your State and the Federal government give, you may or may not break even on the deal. In Minnesota, other than filling up more frequently, I go about an extra mile per dollar spent on E85 because it can be nearly $1/gallon cheaper than 92 octane premium. (noting it isn't really cheaper as any money the government gives to others came partially from my pocket)

surprised nobody mentioned the biggest benefit of e85, the higher octane for more spark!!!

our beloved supercoupes don't like a whole lot of timing, i wouldn't even recommend upping the top end timing on a stock supercoupe since the factory tune has it right at the edge IME

especially lugging at high loads and low rpm (below 2k), i've managed to detonate with only 20 degrees :mad:

surprised nobody mentioned the biggest benefit of e85, the higher octane for more spark!!!

our beloved supercoupes don't like a whole lot of timing, i wouldn't even recommend upping the top end timing on a stock supercoupe since the factory tune has it right at the edge IME

especially lugging at high loads and low rpm (below 2k), i've managed to detonate with only 20 degrees :mad:

Due to the reduced energy content of E85, you NEED that greater advance just to catch up to where you were with E0 :mad:

RwP

Due to the reduced energy content of E85, you NEED that greater advance just to catch up to where you were with E0 :mad:

At max power rich of E85, the burn rate is actually quite a bit faster than gasoline. This will allows you to run reduced advance and still achieve max power. At leaner mixtures of E85, the burn rate is more closely matched to gasoline.

We've known that for quite some time now. There is some folks though that still believe in the past when they where running 32 degree's of timing at WOT thinking thats the timing they where getting... and it wasn't because of the knock sensor and ACT's going up so high so quick, they'd really only be getting about 22-24 degrees. We still run more timing than alot of other motors do under the same amount of boost etc. Also, mild controlled detonation can actually increase power if done right with no damage.

As for lugging, I seldom have to back timing off or if I do its only a couple of degrees and thats on an extreme motor. There's other tricks to do to prevent pinging that doesn't require pulling timing at part throttle during lugging.

Fraser

Back