PDA

View Full Version : whats the value of our birds?

birdlessmuz
08-16-2010, 09:47 PM
im finaly getting my sc on the road and was wondering what these car's value is? what do you guys insure them for?

KMT
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Typically I think it costs more to insure the average SC than it's worth these days.

If you're talking about custom car coverage, well, that's another matter.

Which year w/what options do you own...how many miles?

Jacob_Royer
08-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I bought mine in mint condition 1 owner car in 2004 for $2900 and loan value was like 900$! i had to use my 260k 91 accord for callateral (was worth $3000 to the bank ?) so id say they arent worth much at all.. I carry full coverage on mine but i assume that if you do any dammage to it they just total it. so far ive been lucky! on the other hand ive done 2400$ dammage to my 96 gt on a deer early this year! got it all fixed paid extra repainted whole car month later somone hit and run at walmart parking lot did $1000 dammage insurance fixed it. last week hit another deer $1600 insurance fixing it no argument whatsoever! I dont think they would do that with the SC infact they are always asking why i have full coverage on it? Its rust free mint interior and only thing cosmetic on the outside wrong is rock chips on hood.

fturner
08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
I bought mine in mint condition 1 owner car in 2004 for $2900 and loan value was like 900$! i had to use my 260k 91 accord for callateral (was worth $3000 to the bank ?) so id say they arent worth much at all.. I carry full coverage on mine but i assume that if you do any dammage to it they just total it. so far ive been lucky! on the other hand ive done 2400$ dammage to my 96 gt on a deer early this year! got it all fixed paid extra repainted whole car month later somone hit and run at walmart parking lot did $1000 dammage insurance fixed it. last week hit another deer $1600 insurance fixing it no argument whatsoever! I dont think they would do that with the SC infact they are always asking why i have full coverage on it? Its rust free mint interior and only thing cosmetic on the outside wrong is rock chips on hood.

You know, I have yet to see you post anything good about an SC.... you are always laying down smack on it, and saying how much better your GT is.......

I'm amazed you haven't scrapped that piece of crap SC you have.

Sorry, but its an observation I've made about you and your SC.

"Now back to our regular scheduled program..."

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
08-17-2010, 08:05 AM
In most cases these cars are worth whatever you can trick someone into paying for it. It really depends on the car. A super clean ride like Bill evanoff's well I would insure it for no less than 15,000. A car like the one I just sent to the crusher isn't worth the value of the scrap metal it is made of. There are some really nice sc's out there, but there are also some serious piles. The SC's seem to hold more value than any of the other mn-12 variants. v6na cars aren't worth but a few hundred bucks in good condition.
Alan

BirdofPrey97
08-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Insured mine for 7,000 and it's $22/month for full coverage. $26/6months when its in storage.

It goes into storage on the 21st of this month. See it next year. :(

debo92sc
08-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Insured mine for 7,000 and it's $22/month for full coverage. $26/6months when its in storage.

It goes into storage on the 21st of this month. See it next year. :(

Hey by chance what insurace company are you using?

PDQ SC
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
There have been 3 1990's purchased recently at prices just below $10,000.00. I'm one of those folks that was "tricked" into just such a purchase. Damn I wish I would have spent $40,000.00 on an SS Camero like the one my niece has just so I could keep up with it rather than blow it's doors off. Think about it, at the price I payed for this car I have an incredible motor built by an award winning professional builder (CORR and NASCAR) that will jump past 150 MPH in nothing flat without ever downshifting or going WOT. And this one is just as attractive as the one I had in college. I love it!

David Neibert
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
There have been 3 1990's purchased recently at prices just below $10,000.00. I'm one of those folks that was "tricked" into just such a purchase. Damn I wish I would have spent $40,000.00 on an SS Camero like the one my niece has just so I could keep up with it rather than blow it's doors off. Think about it, at the price I payed for this car I have an incredible motor built by an award winning professional builder (CORR and NASCAR) that will jump past 150 MPH in nothing flat without ever downshifting or going WOT. And this one is just as attractive as the one I had in college. I love it!

Please post more info about your SC...sounds like a nice car.

David

PS: I probably value my SCs much higher than anyone else thinks they are worth, because I know what went into building them. They are currently insured for $33K each, but have a lot more than that into them.

kenewagner
08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Like David I hold my SC on the high side. I couldnt get what its worth short of parting it out. Mine is insured for 21,000. It was appraised at that for insurance purposes but Im sure I couldnt get that out of it. It is what it is a fun toy, project car and a bottomless pit to spend money on. Its not an investment, it is just my favorite toy;)

Ken

PDQ SC
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
This is the 1990 that was sold my Larry Hughes in Vegas. It sits on about page three of the classifieds as the one that's "not even close to average." I went out and picked it up in June. I plan on heading to Dalkes place at the end of this month to upgrade the injectors, MAF and dyno tune. It just seems like such a waste not to see what all it has. Presently working on a minor issue with the ignition switch, but otherwise, it's just a tight as advertised and the drive from Vegas to Kansas was too short and fun as hell!

David Neibert
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
This is the 1990 that was sold my Larry Hughes in Vegas. It sits on about page three of the classifieds as the one that's "not even close to average." I went out and picked it up in June. I plan on heading to Dalkes place at the end of this month to upgrade the injectors, MAF and dyno tune. It just seems like such a waste not to see what all it has. Presently working on a minor issue with the ignition switch, but otherwise, it's just a tight as advertised and the drive from Vegas to Kansas was too short and fun as hell!

That is a very nice car and certianly worth the asking price...congrats on buying it and welcome to the club.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111919

David

Jacob_Royer
08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
You know, I have yet to see you post anything good about an SC.... you are always laying down smack on it, and saying how much better your GT is.......

I'm amazed you haven't scrapped that piece of crap SC you have.

Sorry, but its an observation I've made about you and your SC.

"Now back to our regular scheduled program..."

Fraser

Thats probably because my mustang IS better than my SC I beat the crap out of it drive it every day and never have to work on it. My sc is not and never will be reliable enough to drive as much as i do. 750 miles a week somtimes more! BTW its not crappy from a cosmetic point of view you would have alot of trouble finding one anywhere close to being as nice because its spent its entire life sitting in a garage, infact the last 3 years its not hardly seen the sun. Maybe 15k miles since the original engine spun a rod bearing. then wow amazingly even though i ran MLS gaskets ARP studs new water pump thermostat hoses etc it STILL blew a head gasket! thank you ford for putting such a great temprature guage in my car! wow that was so awesome why did Ford design such a crappy poor excuse for a cooling system in a PERFORMANCE car? Why not a LOW COOLANT warning light? that way when you blow a hose going down the interstate you realize that you lost your coolant and stop. Ohh thats right a low coolant light is a STANDARD feature on all mustangs 1994-up! There would be ALOT more Sc's still on the road if they had a low-coolant light and/or a funtional temprature guage. Love the car hate the lack of descent cooling system and reliability.

S_Mazza
08-17-2010, 04:30 PM
thank you ford for putting such a great temprature guage in my car! wow that was so awesome why did Ford design such a crappy poor excuse for a cooling system in a PERFORMANCE car? Why not a LOW COOLANT warning light? that way when you blow a hose going down the interstate you realize that you lost your coolant and stop. Ohh thats right a low coolant light is a STANDARD feature on all mustangs 1994-up! There would be ALOT more Sc's still on the road if they had a low-coolant light and/or a funtional temprature guage. Love the car hate the lack of descent cooling system and reliability.

A lot of us HAVE a low coolant warning light. It's part of the VMM system.

I don't know how you managed to blow a head gasket again. But most of us are not having hte same problem. I can't explain it, but I don't think the car is THAT unreliable, especially in stock form.

birdlessmuz
08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
i insured mine for 6000 because it comes with a apprasial so well soon see what a "expert" values it at

XxSlowpokexX
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I have a few things to say.

#1 You get what you pay for most times. Pay $500 for an SC you get a $500 SC. Pay $3500 you get a $3500 car..Pay 10,000.....BUT you need to know what exactly you are buying
#2 Larrys car was real nice...Congrats! You definitely didnt get suckered
#3 My SC has a Low Coolant light!..I'd also know if I lost my coolant!
#4 96-98 Mustang 4.6 v8's were about the sorriest excuse for a mustang they had made in years..FACT!!!
#5 Whoever compares a 96-98 stang to an SC (and thinks the stang is better) needs to seriously reevaluate thier knowledge of automobiles

l kidding aside a poorly maintained vehicle should be worth less and a well maintained more. Currently an 89 SC is worth more than a 94 book value. Why? Because once a car hits 10 years they start going back up due to a semi classic car status....STILL I'd rather have a 94-95.

Bottom line. If you have a well maintained or low mile car it can be priceless.....

birdlessmuz
08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
well put and i am going for classic status for my bird hence the thread i got a hell of a deal on my 89 because impatient people fixed everything but the obvious. new motor new clutch needed windshield ignition module and abs pump paid 700 got maybe 500 in to it and will be enjoying it in a few days waiting on plate but now comes the real money getting to perfect condition before a few speed options

BirdofPrey97
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
You can put ARP head studs on these cars and use MLS gaskets, but if you don't fix the 90 degree bend on the passenger side in the exhaust it will probably blow again especially if you are kid driving like an idiot.

I use Triple A for insurance.

Jacob_Royer
08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
You can put ARP head studs on these cars and use MLS gaskets, but if you don't fix the 90 degree bend on the passenger side in the exhaust it will probably blow again especially if you are kid driving like an idiot.

I use Triple A for insurance.

My t-bird has catless downtubes and was not drove like an idiot.. 4.6 gets abused daily. There hasnt been a day ive drove it and not had it over 6000rpm at least once no problems whatsoever... and yes a 96/98 4.6 is pretty weak in stock form but ive done the PI swap (300$ total!) and it runs circles around 99/04's. PI heads on a 96/98 bumps compression to 10:1 no tunning simple swap and a few bolt ons has provided lots of cheap reliable fun.

Red945sp
08-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Are you guys getting stated value insurance on your SCs? I have a classic car policy on my GTO with Haggerty, but when I asked about my SC, they said it didn't qualify.

My SC is a mint 50,000 mile Colorado car. And, I spent a lot of money on mods in the last couple of years. What are the good companies to insure SCs?

Thanks, JV

JJP90SC
08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Are you guys getting stated value insurance on your SCs? I have a classic car policy on my GTO with Haggerty, but when I asked about my SC, they said it didn't qualify.

My SC is a mint 50,000 mile Colorado car. And, I spent a lot of money on mods in the last couple of years. What are the good companies to insure SCs?

Thanks, JV

I have my '94 SC insured with Grundy. Full coverage with $500,000 liability and a $6,500 agreed upon value for only $119 per year!!:D
It can't be used for any daily driver type of stuff, but that's not a problem for me.
Jeff