Please help with a sc

needaSC89-96

Hello so I had a sc about ten years ago and loved and I found one with a 160000 miles on it 2 ownes last owner had it 14 years all original no work has ever been done besides oil changes and tires paint is perfect no rust at all.
Now the bad is a really bad banging in the front I am assuming its shocks and struts so can anyone help me out its 1700 dollars it runs great but for how much longer do you think with that many miles I need it to last atleast a year till I get my house with a target to take care of her so again please post or pm me and let me know what to look for and what I'm getting into

These cars can last a long time, although some maintenance will be required. That's a given. Front suspension usually needs parts around 100,000 miles. If the front suspension is all original, your mileage is pretty high.

To start with, when do you hear banging? What is the quality of the sound? Is it a hollow knocking? Any pattern to it?

If you want to start inspecting things, just find a spot to lay next to the car and check the following:

1.) Rubber boots at upper ball joints, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and sway bar end links. (This makes 10 boots in all.) If the boots are torn, the joints are probably bad or getting there.

2.) Movement at ball joints. Grasp the sway bar end links with one hand and try to twist. If it feels loose, it's probably bad. It should have a certain amount of tension to it. I can't really describe the proper amount, but if it is bad, it should be obviously loose. Do the same thing with the outer tie rod ends. The upper and lower ball joints, you can't really check this way. But you can jack up the car and use the tire for leverage. Grasp the top and bottom and try to "rock" the tire. Looseness here means you probably have a bad ball joint. Next grasp the sides of the tire and try to rock it. Looseness here means you probably have a bad tie rod end (inner or outer). Looseness in both directions means you probably have both of those OR a bad wheel bearing.

3.) Worn or cracked rubber bushings. Some of these are hidden from view with everything assembled, so just check the ones you can see for now. That includes the bushings where the tension strut meets the lower control arm and where it meets the frame. (4 locations total.)

The suspension parts for this car are not too expensive. (With the possible exception of the tension strut bushings, for which OEM is the only type that seems to last.) They can be difficult to change if the fasteners have been left in place for 20 years. But that would apply to almost any car.

Not sure if S_Mazza mentioned but check your subframe to frame bolts, they like to work loose and will also cause a bang sound when hitting a bump. My Cougar would do this all the time when crossing the sidewalk to enter my driveway.

Thanks so you think I should grab it? Its a 5spd and it felt strong you think the motor will last a bit? How much am I looking at to have the motor rebuilt and to do all the suspension myself? Thanks guys all your information is very helpful

Punctuation?

Hello so I had a sc about ten years ago and loved and I found one with a 160000 miles on it 2 ownes last owner had it 14 years all original no work has ever been done besides oil changes and tires paint is perfect no rust at all.
Now the bad is a really bad banging in the front I am assuming its shocks and struts so can anyone help me out its 1700 dollars it runs great but for how much longer do you think with that many miles I need it to last atleast a year till I get my house with a target to take care of her so again please post or pm me and let me know what to look for and what I'm getting into

Over 130 words in this post.
Punctuation: 1 period!!
Very hard to read, that's for sure.

Wow really tho that's what you have to reply with. How about I'm on my phone and can't see it that well thanks ~~~ hole..... ....... .... happy

Don't mind the complainers, some have nothing better to do than b*tch.

Back to the original subject, yes you should buy it you'll be glad you did.

Lol I said I was on my phone not driving................. now back to the my question I want to buy it but how do you think I'm looking at to have the motor rebuilt if I pull it and reinstall it myself and how much in parts to do the suspension. 90coug being that your the only person that answered the question at hand. Thanks...........

Contact XR7 Dave, he will have the rebuild kit you're looking for and can quote a better price than I can. The suspension, well I'm not sure. Out of four mn12's I've owned I've never really had any issues with the suspension. Are you sure that it's the culprit?

Upper & Lower control arms Uppers are about $65 each, Lowers around $60 $125x2=$250

Inner & Outer tie rods about $10 each and there are 4 =$40.

Look those prices up on www.rockauto.com

Look at the boots and see if they are torn on the ball joints. See if they have grease in them.

I would state your location and you might get a local guy to come help you look at the car.

Pop the hood on the car and push down on the front fender on each side and watch the shock support. If it stays put that probably isn't the noise, but if theres day light or it moves around that could be the noise maker. If the mounts and shocks are shot you are some where around $600-$800 depending on what all parts are needed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back