PDA

View Full Version : Problems with BHJ SFI balancer 89-93

XR7 Dave
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone else have issues with the bolt circle for the reluctance ring being drilled/tapped wrong? I know a lot of these have been sold recently and just wondering what installation issues anyone might have run into.

ricardoa1
08-17-2010, 11:49 AM
The one I put in the Anniversary checked out without issues. It was bought in Jan from Victor.

XR7 Dave
08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
The one I put in the Anniversary checked out without issues. It was bought in Jan from Victor.

Was it SFI or regular?

ricardoa1
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Was it SFI or regular?

I think the regular. But darn I dont remember. It was bought with price in mind so I think it was just a regular.

fturner
08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Now that you mentioned it, I had to tweak things to make it fit on mine when I installed it a couple of years ago, and yes mine is the SFI rated one.

Fraser

XR7 Dave
08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Normal BHJ's do not have this issue. It is of some concern though, because when you enlarge or elongate the holes to make it fit, you are then playing with ignition timing. This can have unintended consequences. When building an engine it is not a big deal because I index the damper before installing the heads, but for someone just replacing the balancer, your timing could end up being off with no way to correct it.

I was just wondering if this is an ongoing issue or an isolated incident. If you have one of these balancers and had issues with fitment, it would be good to contact BHJ and let them know - give them the serial # so they can trace the problem down.

Mike Puckett
08-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Dave, I just bought an SFI balancer from Victor but haven't installed it yet. It is supposed to be from the last production run. It's actually for the new motor so I've only taken it out of the box once to take a quick look at it. I didn't even notice if it did or didn't have the sensor ring on it. I'll check mine tonight and I'll try to install my spare sensor ring if it isn't on it already and see how it fits.

DrFishbone
08-18-2010, 10:08 AM
My early-model SFI rated BHJ didn't have a problem with the ring fitment. I probably bought it about 3-4 years ago and installed it last year.

Mike Puckett
08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes indeed, there is a problem with the holes. They are drilled 1mm too close to the hub. The threading is correct. hhhmmm. Is there any alternative to reshaping the screw holes in the sensor ring or any problem with doing that? Apparently the whole production lot is like this. If we return them we'll probably have to wait for another production run. Either way BHJ needs to know so they can adjust their tooling.

Sampo
08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
So I need to check my BHJ SFI balancer also... I bought it from Victor about month ago.

Let me know if you have solution to this.

-Sami

DrFishbone
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
You know, actually...I think I might remember taking a file and extending the holes towards the center of the ring just a tad. :rolleyes:

I think I remember this because when I installed it on the engine stand, I checked every vane and their clearance between the crank sensor prongs. If I remember right, all of the holes were just a hair (1mm sounds right, Mike) too close to the center bore for the hub.

Jake
08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
I bought a sfi bhj from Victor about a month ago and they were out of stock so it came directly from bhj. When I installed the 4 bolts that attach it to the pulley the holes were not tapped deep enough so I added 2 washers to each bolt.

Mike Puckett
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I talked to Brian at BHJ today and he is checking into it. He said that it's the same tooling they've always used. The screws from the old balancer threaded all the way in on mine so that's not a problem. I guess that's the thing to do then is just file the hole in the right spot so the screw will clear.

superklotz
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Yep, same exact problem here. I bought an early model SFI balancer from supercoupe performance about four months ago and had to file the reluctor ring holes very carefully so it would fit. For the price they are it would be nice if everything fit correctly :rolleyes:

Sampo
08-21-2010, 03:38 AM
For the price they are it would be nice if everything fit correctly :rolleyes:

Exatcly what I was thinking too.

BHJ should call all them back and give us a new pieces.;):D

Mike Puckett
09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I talked to Brian at BHJ again. Apparently the mounting screw spacing was based on an earlier application for some sort of special application. Anyway, he said they would be happy to adjust the sensor ring for anyone who wanted to send it to them. He said not to drill the holes out bigger but just remove the area over the threads.

BECERRASC
09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I talked to Brian at BHJ again. Apparently the mounting screw spacing was based on an earlier application for some sort of special application. Anyway, he said they would be happy to adjust the sensor ring for anyone who wanted to send it to them. He said not to drill the holes out bigger but just remove the area over the threads.

FOR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THEY GET.... they should pay even for shipping... but they are a pain in the @$$ i am 10 mm away from their shop and i went and try to buy one from them and the asked 550.00 for it!!...:eek: i told them that i tough by getting from the factory i will save at least ship but no i would have to pay 120.00 more the only good thing was that they will have it ready in 2 days ...:rolleyes:

KMT
09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Apparently the mounting screw spacing was based on an earlier application for some sort of special application.

cough!leftoverfromothermakeofack!ghcarcough.... damn allergies

90MN12
04-06-2013, 04:50 AM
I know this an old resurrection but I bought from back then and just barely got installed. Well almost completely installed until the issue was found. Anyone with this issue install without sending back to Bhj? How exactly did you correct? If you send back how long did it take to get back? I've had my car in shop for over 3 weeks on other issues. It'll be done soon if I can install soon. I rather not send in to fix cause I don't wanna risk re installing stock balancer.

XR7 Dave
04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Just carefully file the holes so that the screws will fit. Before you do that, make sure you have the correct orientation with the offset screw so that your ignition timing is correct. Otherwise you'll have even more issues. Fortunately the ring is at least hub-centric to the balancer so you don't have to worry about getting it off center.

Also be aware that most likely the pulley bolts won't go in far enough. I've had a few that seemed to work ok and then some that don't. The last thing you want is for the bolts to bottom out with the pulley *almost* tight. If you make that mistake you'll ruin both the balancer and your pulley eventually. I always shorten my pulley bolts so there is no issue.

Sending the balancer back to BHJ will cause delay and will be expensive because you'll be paying UPS. BHJ isn't going to replace the balancer with a new one, they will just file out the holes for you.

LIVipers
04-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Just carefully file the holes so that the screws will fit. Before you do that, make sure you have the correct orientation with the offset screw so that your ignition timing is correct. Otherwise you'll have even more issues. Fortunately the ring is at least hub-centric to the balancer so you don't have to worry about getting it off center.

Also be aware that most likely the pulley bolts won't go in far enough. I've had a few that seemed to work ok and then some that don't. The last thing you want is for the bolts to bottom out with the pulley *almost* tight. If you make that mistake you'll ruin both the balancer and your pulley eventually. I always shorten my pulley bolts so there is no issue.

Sending the balancer back to BHJ will cause delay and will be expensive because you'll be paying UPS. BHJ isn't going to replace the balancer with a new one, they will just file out the holes for you.
Dave, I just received my 94-95 style SFI this morning from them....any news of this being an issue on the late model ones? Also, what size crank pulley bolts do you personally recommend? I know they are required to be about 1/4" shorter than stock, I just don't know what size that is.

Tom

90MN12
04-06-2013, 10:00 AM

What's best to file out the holes with?