need a little advice

anthrax

so i want to clean up some of the misc things under the hood. 1st my a/c doesnt work due to the cut a/c lines when i got the car. so i want to remove all that bs. 2nd my power steering doesnt work. i replaced the pump a while back after the pump cracked and now it leaks somewhere(looks like the rack) so ive been driving it for 2 months w.o powersteerng. its not worth filling the p/s and bleeding it everyweek. now i want to delete the a/c compressor and possibly delete the p/s while im at it and remove the miles of excess lines ford put in. Is the manual rack gonna be easier to steer than a p/s system with low or no fluid or about the same? if i were to remove the a/c and p/s i know i need a 89' 3.8 n/a water pump for the hose routing, shorter belt, new rack, and new tensioner. what else would i need just to run the alt from the crank. and will the deleted evo fitting affect anything on the car like the ARC? and is there a different alt mounting bracket to remove that huge p/s bracket? and what would the cost run me to convert to manual steering?

i know its alot. just wanna get some sc guys advice before diving head 1st into the job

a/c delete is easy...just search it and you will get your answer

P/S delete not really sure...I had my pump, high pressure hose, and rack replaced (before I worked on cars, 15yrs old) for like $500...didnt think that was too bad a price.

p/s delete doesnt seem too bad. remove p/s pump, put on a non sc water pump, rip out all the lines, and replace the rack. and then eather make a alt bracket or grind the crap outta the p/s pump bracket haha

p/s delete doesnt seem too bad. remove p/s pump, put on a non sc water pump, rip out all the lines, and replace the rack. and then eather make a alt bracket or grind the crap outta the p/s pump bracket haha

Search "manual steering rack" and you will find plenty of info on the swap. I don't think the waterpump or alternator are affected by the change, and yes it will be easier to steer than the power steering rack without fluid.

AC delete is much easier. You can either put a big idler pulley where the compressor was located, or use a mustang tensioner with revised routing and shorter belt. The mustang tensioner method looks a lot cleaner.

attachment.php

Obviously it won't be the same if the power steering pump is deleted and would require a shorter belt and most likely a differnt lower radiator hose.

David

Last edited:
Back