waterpump pully bolts

anlo

as i am on my lengthy road trip from al to san antonio texas every thing good on the way
on the way back actually still in progress ..... stuck in universal city texas waiting on a replacement lower radiator hose to come in tomorrow
waterpump pully was missing a bolt head when i arrived i thought weird but no big deal leaving san antonio this morning i notice another bolt head popped off okay a little worried now but what can you do at a motel 6 in san antonio. headed out got about 20 miles out of town and i heaRD A PING i knew it was another bolt so whipped off the exit last bolt popped and all the rackett starterd..... belt wrapped all around everything ripped the rad hose got wound up in the jack shaft pully... pully just sitting in there... now the question part???? pully bolt studs came right out and i replaced them with the stud kit in the help section loctite red the crap out of em and will be replacing all 3 belts. water pump is new so what could make this happen?? and do i stand a chance of making the rest of the 800 miles back??

If the water pump had recently been replaced then I would guess the pulley bolts weren't tightened properly and things gradually got worse. If the water pump is good and you get the pulley on correctly I don't see why it should happen again. I don't think using more loctite than you're supposed to will help any, just use what is called for in the directions.

wp

that makes me feel better i was thinking along the same lines water pump was replaced by previous owner and they were never really tightned correctly.plus being really rusty and old.

made it

made the trip back 820 miles no issues previous owner did not properly install w/p pully studs,,,,, 26 mpg @ 73mph all well at this time.the aftermarket harmonic balancer from am auto parts still hangin tough 2000miles later..

They are supposed to be Bolts - Not studs for the water pump pulley.

Two of mine came out recently, they were properly torqued to spec .. now they are installed with thread lock. :eek:

- Dan

Back